Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I recently found a lightly used 2007 Trek Fuel EX 8 for $1,000... Do you guys think this is a good deal? I'm looking to get back into riding and haven't purchased a bike since I was 15 when I got my Gary Fisher Joushia X1.

I read in a couple other threads that Trek made some pretty serious changes to the Fuel's in 2008 but I thought at $1,000, the deal was too good to pass up. Then again, I just saw someone who bought a new one for $1,300 on closeout... I'm a bit back and fourth on this, what do you guys think?

Finally, if I do decide to pull the trigger on this, any recommended upgrades?

Thanks,

Rex32

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guys, just realized I had been looking at pictures and reviews of an 08 Fuel EX8 the whole time! I'm not sure if I'm interested in the 07...

Do you think an 07 EX8 is worth $1,000? I'm looking to close this deal tomorrow if I am going to do it, so I would love some feedback.

Thanks,

Rex32

·
Registered
906 Posts
I had a 07 EX8 for a couple months was a pretty nice bike. I bought one new off tghe floor 2 years ago for $1400 on closeout. I'd been shopping for one for my son off and on and they seem to be selling between $750-$1,000 pending on condition. The chnace of finding an 07 left over now are pretty slim. I ride a 07 Top Fuel and love it. If it's real clean near show room a G's not far off from what I've seen.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
IIRC the 07 has Float forks/rp3 or 23 shock and lx build up. It doesn't have the current abp/floating shock frame and it's not as laterally rigid as the current design, also the geometry is very slightly steeper. 130mm ravel at front and 120 at back.

It is still a very good frame. Provided it's in decent condition $1000 sounds like a reasonable deal, if it needs shock servicing, new bearings and the like not so much.

You can always try and haggle him down a bit on the grounds they go for $1300 new.

Upgrades wise, only the tyres(maybe), if it still has the stock Bonty Jones that tyre was useless in muddy weather. Everything else was fine if not particularly flashy.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It's not a bad bike, and not a ridiculous price, but I wouldn't call it a deal you NEED to go jump on. The '08+ is amazingly better suspension design... I know the component difference is significant, but I'd personally rather own a 2010 EX5 than an '07 EX8.

Ideally you could find an '08-09 EX 7 or higher... the 5.5 and 6.5 have the old frame. The new 2010 EX 5 and 6 have the same frame as the high end '08-09 bikes, and the 2010 EX 7, 8, and 9 get a frame update.

·
Registered
906 Posts
All depends on what your looking to spend. If you were thinking you could pick the 07 up for $800 and its clean then go for it. It's really a pretty nice ride and fairly light. If your looking to double that amount and spend more like $1500 then by all means look for a 08 or newer. It's all in what you can afford and or want to spend. If you like it and it fits buy it , ride and have fun!

·
Registered
259 Posts
luckynumber9 said:
pass it up. look for an 08 ex7 or ex 8 -- you should be able to find one for a few hundred $$$ more. The suspension design is much better, and the bike looks better, and the parts will be a little newer.
Agreed. I was offered an '08 EX8 a few months ago for $1200. It was a sweet ride too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.