Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Keep on Rockin...
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ERD on rim to be replaced is 561 (LG1 DH rim)

ERD on new rim is 563 (FR 560 dt Swiss)

Can I make the pre-existing spokes work?

Can I fudge using longer nips or something?

· Registered
310 Posts
ERD on rim to be replaced is 561 (LG1 DH rim)

ERD on new rim is 563 (FR 560 dt Swiss)

Can I make the pre-existing spokes work?

Can I fudge using longer nips or something?
I usually look at how far the spoke head is in the nipple to determine how much I have to play with when swapping rims. There isn't much difference in ERD of those rims and 1/2 of that is only 1.5 mm.
I would use brass nipples if you don't have full penetration to the top of the nipple, the alloy one's will collapse at the slot or pull the head off.

· turtles make me hot
11,822 Posts
It will be fine.
Also, when you disassemble the old wheel, divide the spokes into four piles. NDS outer, NDS inner, DS inner and DS outer. If yo put all the spokes back in the hub where they came from, the wheel will just about fall together. Otherwise you’ll be wrestling with trying to twist the spokes into new directions.

· Registered
333 Posts
It will be fine.
Also, when you disassemble the old wheel, divide the spokes into four piles. NDS outer, NDS inner, DS inner and DS outer. If yo put all the spokes back in the hub where they came from, the wheel will just about fall together. Otherwise you'll be wrestling with trying to twist the spokes into new directions.
Another approach would be to tape the spokes at the intersections before removing the old rim and mark the two spokes between which the valve is. When you remove the old rim, you can then just place the new rim so that valve slot is in correct position and add nips one by one after those. You don't have to think how to lace the spokes and so on...
It is going to be a bit of a hassle to get all nips correctly placed, but it is going to be a bit of a hassle anyways, if you don't have a routine for wheel building...

· Registered
1,256 Posts
Cool. Thanks guys.

Yep. I always use brass nips.

If I can get away with the same spokes I just tape the two rims together and pull over the spokes one at a time.
I'm not sure how easy that'll be, could be a snap. It's probably easiest to re-lace, but I've removed an old rim keeping the spokes in place with tiny binder clips at the outer cross points and it worked fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.