Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
Nice.

Let's hope SAPA can rectify the QC problems that have caused other "high-end" frame makers to look elsewhere for production.

Have you posted numbers for the updated Rockstar geometry yet? Also, what is the status of the El Guapo 29er?

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
seemed to me that the failures the "other guys" had were due to design problems, not quality...of course we'll never know for sure, but that's how they looked to me.
Is that why Knolly missed a year of output and moved production overseas?...because of "design problems"?

edit: not trying to start a fight....seriously hope it works out for Titus.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Is that why Knolly missed a year of output and moved production overseas?...because of "design problems"?

edit: not trying to start a fight....seriously hope it works out for Titus.
Have turner bikes had QC problems? They are the only other company that makes bikes at SAPA that I know of.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Cool that you guys are up and running production again, hope things work out. Curious to see the new geo for this frameset.

How's the saying go, no dog in this fight, but yes AFAIK Turner did have some issues with welds not penetrating the big CNCd BB block on the new DW design and having to repair/replace cracked frames in that area. As to which specific models, not 100% sure, but knew of a few Sultans that suffered this fate.
Have turner bikes had QC problems? They are the only other company that makes bikes at SAPA that I know of.

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Yeah, how about the DHR's that failed? Design or fabrication issue?
Wasn't it that a whole production run had the wrong spec headtube used????? I'd call that a major SNAFU. Yes, cracks at the machined BB and seatube area needing new gussets and the burrito. Misaligned frames and rear triangles seem to pop up more on the Turner forum as well.

Some of the welding coming out of Portland has looked like Shite as well as seen on some of the Turners. Lets hope for good Q/C on the new Titus's final products.

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Jesus Christ guys give it an F-ing chance will you?
I've given every iteration of Titus a chance Terrible....there has been no bigger supporter of this company then me. I am glad to see Titus hooking up with their old Ti guys from Form cycles...I think that is a great start with the Anniversary model they offered. I just am pointing out that this quality with made in the USA banner should be held to all thier vendors SAPA included.

Please don't rush models out just to appease the masses and the bicycle fashionistas (ie FTM). Build something that works, lasts and provide the Customer service that people who are paying for a boutique frame demand.

Now this will tick a lot of people off....but be straight forward with your pricing. You have a lot of new customers who are on your rides because of the blowout pricing. These people should be made aware that the 2012 El Guapo will not be under a thousand bucks. The vultures have feasted and now the remains are done, lets see and hear about the new goods and also see what the pricing will be set at.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Wasn't it that a whole production run had the wrong spec headtube used????? I'd call that a major SNAFU. Yes, cracks at the machined BB and seatube area needing new gussets and the burrito. Misaligned frames and rear triangles seem to pop up more on the Turner forum as well.

Some of the welding coming out of Portland has looked like Shite as well as seen on some of the Turners. Lets hope for good Q/C on the new Titus's final products.
Actually those sound like a design, heat treatment and cold setting problems which may not be a problem with SAPA. It depends on whether SAPA did the heat treatment or not. It could be that Turner sub contracted the heat treatment out to some one else. I personally can't see SAPA screwing up the heat treatment as they are aerospace certified.

http://www.sapagroup.com/pages/420595/services.pdf

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
I personally can't see SAPA screwing up the heat treatment as they are aerospace certified.
You'd be surprised at how many "certified" processes by any standard, really don't meet the requirements.

Agreed with pricing. Keep it realistic, so you don't end up by the end of season with a bunch of frames to blow out.

I wish you the best, guys!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Cool that you guys are up and running production again, hope things work out. Curious to see the new geo for this frameset.

How's the saying go, no dog in this fight, but yes AFAIK Turner did have some issues with welds not penetrating the big CNCd BB block on the new DW design and having to repair/replace cracked frames in that area. As to which specific models, not 100% sure, but knew of a few Sultans that suffered this fate.
Happened to my '09 Flux... Crack at BB area with 600 miles on the frame. Promptly replaced by Turner with a '11 front triangle and 500 miles later no problems. The welds on the '09 "taco" were pretty crappy, the '11 looks perfect all around. To be honest though, the BB on the '09 Turners looked susceptible to failure without a gusset... I haven't seen one fail with the gusset. I would buy another frame made by SAPA without hesitation.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.