Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I bought some stuff on ebay including disc wheels for my '99 m300. the rear rotor is hitting the seat stay barely. Could i shim it? It only needs like a 1/16" maybe 1/8" to clear it. would that work? am I the only one who has ran into this problem? any thoughts would be helpful:madman:

·
Registered
414 Posts
the rotor is hitting the seat stay? that doesn't sound like any easy thing to do... is the caliper installed as well? Better still do you have a picture I can't see it in my head....

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
hmm, shimming the rotor would move it closer to your seat stay.
i don't know how close you are and at what point the rotor contacts the frame, but here's a couple ideas-- maybe try a different rotor style... you may get some more edge clearance say if you went from a 'roundagon' to a round...
a cheaper method if ya got some cone wrenches [or similar] is to put in a couple 1mm thick washers between the jam-nuts on the non drive side. this will shift the whole hub [rotor incl.] over 2 mm...but it may be a little harder installing/removing the wheel from the drop-outs.
pictures???

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
chinkerjuarez said:
I think your wheel is dished incorrectly. It shouldn't be that close to the seat stay.
Maybe I'm just tired but how would a wheel's dish effect the relationship to the stay? The hub/rotor is in a fixed position.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ramjm_2000 said:
Maybe I'm just tired but how would a wheel's dish effect the relationship to the stay? The hub/rotor is in a fixed position.
Good catch I must have been tired when I wrote this. This would how ever fix the caliper rubbing the spokes problem. That wasn't the original problem. :thumbsup:

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
chinkerjuarez said:
Good catch I must have been tired when I wrote this. This would how ever fix the caliper rubbing the spokes problem. That wasn't the original problem. :thumbsup:
nice save:D :thumbsup: that could've applied to a rim-brake too ;)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Sghost said:
How did you put disc brakes on a M300?
now that's the real question. However you did it, non-disc frames typically don't worry about giving rotor clearance at the stays. My trek 3700 HT frame couldn't even clear a 160mm rotor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sghost said:
How did you put disc brakes on a M300?
i found an adapter on ebay that bolts on to the frame and has the caliper mounts
i hadn't really planned on doing this i just got a good deal on the parts on ebay.
here are some pics or not they failed to download sorry. the rotor is 151mm coda 4-bolt. i think i'm just gonna shim it with a washer see how well that works cause it's only like a 1/16th off. on a side note which front der. is better the stx or the lx deore?
thanks for your thoughts everybody

1 - 12 of 12 Posts