Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Homey the Clown
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke mine and have a bike packing trip coming up in a few days. I've looked throughout the interweb and haven't found what I needed. I need a fork around 438mm AC with canti mounts. Vicious Cycles makes such a beast, but I can't find it (only 470mm sus corrected) and Kelly used to (that's what I broke, twice). None of the carbon forks are the right length (428 or 465), so I'm hoping someone here might have what I need sitting in there garage or perhaps knows of a source.

I'd be greatly appreciative. You can pm me or email me at jim period smart at comcast period net. I'm more than happy to pay a fair price and for expedited shipping.

Thanks, Jimbo

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
jimbo said:
I broke mine and have a bike packing trip coming up in a few days. I've looked throughout the interweb and haven't found what I needed. I need a fork around 438mm AC with canti mounts. Vicious Cycles makes such a beast, but I can't find it (only 470mm sus corrected) and Kelly used to (that's what I broke, twice). None of the carbon forks are the right length (428 or 465), so I'm hoping someone here might have what I need sitting in there garage or perhaps knows of a source.

I'd be greatly appreciative. You can pm me or email me at jim period smart at comcast period net. I'm more than happy to pay a fair price and for expedited shipping.

Thanks, Jimbo

Get a 428 and a bigger lower crown race. If you have a King, I think they make a 5/10mm lower crown race.

·
Homey the Clown
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jmw said:
is this a 29er fork that you need??
438mm seems short
It's for a custom non-suspension corrected frame, and yes a 29er, so the location of the canti mounts is important. The idea for the tall crown race is a good one.

·
Expert Crasher
6,356 Posts
IIRC, there are some 440ish mm carbon forks, Origin 8 maybe?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
GreenLightGo said:
IIRC, there are some 440ish mm carbon forks, Origin 8 maybe?
White Brothers has a 445. No canti mounts though. I guess you could always go with the clamp on ones if you don't mind voiding the warranty by clamping things to the stanchions.

·
Homey the Clown
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mvi said:
How did you manage to break two steel forks?
Both were Kelly forks and both were fatigue type failures, not sudden impact failures. I ride in Tallahassee and ride hard. There are loads of roots. Both forks developed cracks at the weld between the top of the blades (unicrown) and the steerer.

I'll have to find out if the diameter of the legs is the same for the WB and the Origin 8, and also if the Origin 8 canti clamps are sold seperately.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I can check that out for you later today as I have both forks and have a set of Origin 8 clamps. I sold a Vicious Cycles fork in this exact combination earlier this year. . . .

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The White Brothers (I believe) is 34 mm stanchions. Most of the rigid carbon mountain forks seem to be pretty standardized. I've heard most are made in the same factory so I'd imagine they'd fit. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Hi Jimbo. I just sent you a PM. I have the exact Kelly fork you are talking about. Let me know if you are interested in it. Sounds like in the long run you should look into a custom steel fork from someone like Waltworks, but obviously you don't have time for that right now!

Mark

·
Super Moderator
4,306 Posts
I've a Redline Monocog'er fork in the garage gathering dust.

IIRC though it's suspension corrected but I'll try and remember to measure when I get home.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts