Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I need help quick. I am thinking of 2 bikes. Which would be a better buy, in terms of weight and specs.

1. 2007 GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc.

or

2. 2006 KHS Alite 3000 Disc.

Also, what is the weight for both the bikes. And which has a better specification.

Pls advice, pricewise, the KHS is a little more expensive, but i don't know if it's any lighter that the GT.

I need advise quick as I am planning to buy it this Monday.

Thank you for your patience.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,450 Posts
There's probably not a lot b/w the frames as far as weight. I don't know what either bike weighs.

I'd much prefer the Rockshock on the KHS to the Suntour fork on the GT.

The GT has hydro brakes - but I know nothing of the reputation of the Tektro brakes.

The KHS has the popular Avid BB5 cable brakes, which work pretty well.

THe KHS has clipless pedals - the GT has toeclips ( this will be an expense if you want to upgrade to clipless later.)

They have the same tyres, but the KHS is listed as having the lighter and nicer kevlar beaded ones.

The KHS has name brand Truvative stem and bars which are a nice addition over GT's in house bar, stem and post.

The drivetrain on the KHS is much nicer than that of the GT.

If it was me, I'd get the KHS.

Beware of it's replaceable rear derailleur hanger - my son has a 2005 Alite 1000 and has broken two of them - but he is a teenager and it could just be abuse on his part. It's not a big deal and the dealer can replace them for a small amount if you break one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eh, I was wondering. Before every bike is being unpacked from its carton/box, there is net weight and gross weight remark on the carton. Are these infomation reliable?

Both the KHS Alite and GT Avalanche carton indicated that their Net Weight is 16KG and Gross Weight 19KG.

Should I believe this info, and how about different bike sizes? Is the weight indication on the carton printed accordingly?

Pls Advise.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,450 Posts
Seeing as 16kg is 35lbs - I'd say that isn't an accurate weight of the bike inside. I'd think more like 28lbs to 30lbs would be more realistic for this level of bike. The bigger bikes will be slightly heavier by virtue of more metal in the frame, longer fork steerer - but probably only half a pound or so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.