Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Urgent directions for Hawes Pass Mine Loop > Pass Mtn Loop needed

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  AZClydesdale 
#1 ·
I need directions for connecting the Hawes Pass Mine Loop with the Pass Mtn Loop. Can you help? My Payson ride is likely cancelled so I need a 30-40 mile local ride. I've ridden each seperately but never tied them together, might be able to fudge it tho.

* Keith C., Dan J., and myself are leaving Hawes around 8am if interested in joining.

Thanks!
Steve

#2 ·
I thought there was a thread about this a while back wherein Dale Wiggins posted a gps map of this, but a couple of searches didn't turn it up. These might help

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=690188#post690188
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=9012&highlight=hawes+pass

That first thread has a link to a map for getting from Hawes to Usery Rd. At Usery Rd, head south. IIRC it's about a mile. You'll pass a horse staging area on the east side. It's past that. Look for a trailhead with a horse step-thru thing on the east side of Usery Rd. There's a sign prohibiting target shooting. Head up the trail. A lot of this trail is sand. It's a good work out, but it can be ridden all the way to Pass Mtn. Just keep going up the wash. You'll see bike tracks. I rode this today. Pass Mtn will be obvious, there's a couple of large cairns where the wash meets Pass Mtn.

Pass Mtn is hooking up great right now. Lots of the tough spots are firmed up and make-able. And very little cholla on the trail. Looks like you're lucking out big time on the weather.

I'm riding up there tomorrow, but I'm not up for 34 miles. :)

#5 ·
AZClydesdale said:
I need directions for connecting the Hawes Pass Mine Loop with the Pass Mtn Loop. Can you help? My Payson ride is likely cancelled so I need a 30-40 mile local ride. I've ridden each seperately but never tied them together, might be able to fudge it tho.

* Keith C., Dan J., and myself are leaving Hawes around 8am if interested in joining.

Thanks!
Steve
Thanks for posting up an invite to join you, loser-boy... :p

#7 ·
Dirdir said:
Yea, what an invite. Me, Joe and Tom are living in 4 minutes, anyone is welcome. See you there. Geez.
Nice...I'm taking the SS out around the LDW area in a little bit. I can't stop riding the damn SS, somebody help me...

Passed skinny and Dan yesterday coming down the A&W loop. Went OTB just afterwards, probably related to seeing them.

#8 ·
I know, I know...it seems rather callous of me! The problem at the time was (here we go)..

It was late on the 'night before' and the ride location was not finalized with Keith or Dan. I leaned towards Hawes, hence getting directions. But we all decided to do the Whiskey route minutes before departing Sunday morn. Forgive me? :)

Sunday's Whiskey ride turned out to be 8 hours, well over 40 miles (both computers died in a mud bog), and a cross country navigational excercise that became a PITA. Several times we'd hit a section of the course and after awhile realize we were no longer on the course, then back track. This routine happened 5 or 7 times.

The Whiskey course has whicked-fun sections followed by gut-wrenching climbs. I felt every bit of the 15 lbs I gained in recent months.

WARNING: Do not rely solely on the Whiskey directions at Epic Rides website. Use a forest service map or GPS as your main tools.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.