Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
No Clue Crew
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mountain bike technology has progressed infinitely since I began riding. Unfortunately, at least for me, helmet fit hasn't kept up.

I have a long (front to back) and narrow (side to side) head that's relatively small for my overall size (57cm).

To date, the original Urge Endur-o-matic helmet is still the best-fitting helmet I've worn. Unfortunately, these are no longer in production, I can't find any retailer who still stocks them and I'm down to my last helmet.

I just want a helmet that fits my head and doesn't look ridiculous; with my head shape, many helmets are perched on top of my cranium like a pimple.

Anyone in a similar situation found a suitable replacement?

The Endur-o-matic 2 fits completely different. The Smith Forefront is OK, but not great. The IXS Trail Evo was close, but had a huge pressure point right on my forehead. Most of the Bell helmets I've tried don't fit. Most of the Fox, Kali, Specialized, Bontrager, etc., don't fit.

Just looking for insight so I can find a new helmet that works for me. I've obviously tried on everything I can find locally.

Thanks.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Mountain bike technology has progressed infinitely since I began riding. Unfortunately, at least for me, helmet fit hasn't kept up.

I have a long (front to back) and narrow (side to side) head that's relatively small for my overall size (57cm).

To date, the original Urge Endur-o-matic helmet is still the best-fitting helmet I've worn. Unfortunately, these are no longer in production, I can't find any retailer who still stocks them and I'm down to my last helmet.

I just want a helmet that fits my head and doesn't look ridiculous; with my head shape, many helmets are perched on top of my cranium like a pimple.

Anyone in a similar situation found a suitable replacement?

The Endur-o-matic 2 fits completely different. The Smith Forefront is OK, but not great. The IXS Trail Evo was close, but had a huge pressure point right on my forehead. Most of the Bell helmets I've tried don't fit. Most of the Fox, Kali, Specialized, Bontrager, etc., don't fit.

Just looking for insight so I can find a new helmet that works for me. I've obviously tried on everything I can find locally.

Thanks.
What size Endur-O-Matic do you wear?

·
Registered
171 Posts
TSG Trailfox. I switch between this and the Enduromatic 1 but mostly the TSG since it’s vented better. It is more oval than Urge Enduromatic 1 and fits deep. It is only a 7/10 on looks, but still way better than any other MTB helmet.

·
No Clue Crew
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I've tried TLD. The Stage fits, but the open-face trails helmets don't.

I wear size small in Urge.

I will definitely check out the TSG, which I'd never heard of.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Im about 59 mm. I have the L/XL Urge and it is if anything slightly big. I think my Trailfox is S/M and fits right. It may run slightly big. Has adjustable knob unlike Urge, but the crown doesn’t feel propped high like a construction helmet like every other mtb helmet. I have some more reviews somewhere in a post from about a year ago in these forums.

·
No Clue Crew
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, I wanted to circle back around to this post.

To recap, I wear a small/medium Urge Endur-o-matic which has a stated measurement of 54-57 cm. My oval-shaped head is 57 cm. The Urge is the best-fitting helmet I've ever worn.

I did take a chance on the TSG Trailfox in size small/medium, with a stated size of 54-58 cm. This helmet is way too big. The outer shell is enormous and -- while it should fit based on the numbers -- even with the thicker pads and dial cinched all the way in, it still wobbles around on my head.

I will say it vents much better than the Urge based on one ride, Waiting on the Amazon reseller to respond.

·
No Clue Crew
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Circling back one last time just in case this is useful down the line for someone.

I have found a couple helmets that work.

First, I picked up a TLD A1 (non-MIPS) at REI locally and have found the fit to be overall pretty good for me. Not as good as the Urge, but better than Smith. I'm not totally in love, but it's a keeper.

And then ... the Fox Dropframe. I get that the looks are polarizing, but man does it fit my cranium perfectly. So comfortable and I really love how locked down and planted it is.

The venting is a problem. At speed, it's great. Nice airflow in and out along the top of the head. But at lower speeds or technical climbing, it does not wick sweat properly at all. It's still in the 80s and sunny here in Phoenix and our trails have no shade.

I'm going to try cutting out the front of the stock padding and installing a Sweat Buster to see if that helps.

Otherwise, incredible helmet for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.