Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as I may have hinted around, I'm planning on building up a trials bike this summer. But lately I've decided I also want to be able to do urban on it, so stair gaps and the like too (this means suspension fork. I won't say what yet, I don't want to lay out a whole specific plan yet and then not do it, like I've done so often. You can pretty much guess what I'm thinking about, though). The build will optimately be all used, but more realisticly everything but the fork will be used.

I've already put my sights on some nice used components my friends have lying around, but that's not the point.

What street and trials frames are out there (seat post spot needed) that won't break unless I case on some cement blocks, some cars, and a couple safes at the same time (exageration yes, but you get the idea).

All I'm aware of right now is the Planet X Pitbull and the Norco Moment, which I have no idea about the strength (either one) though the Pitbull is advertised as strong.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
I had a jack flash quite some time ago, alright frame (PX construction consistency can be questionable at times), but not trials specific at all. Well, they did have about a dozen different renditions of the jackflash... But with a different build and set-up, it could have been fairly trials worthy, although mine was not as I had it set up. mainly the gearing, and short stem.

I also just recently sold my Echo Urban trials bike w/ PX knifenlite fork, and it was much more trials specific. Still had an open seattube, although I only had a 1" long seatpost, so no extension, and it was an SS with 22:18 gearing, so riding it around a city sucked bad... I sold that thing CHEAP, I should have let you know dirtyharry...

honestly, right now, I don't know much about current trials bikes, as I lost a bit of interest, but I do know that stock trials just recently took a big leap in the availability of some super trick frames out there right now. This style is so ridiculously big in the UK at the moment, there are some sick riders there...

·
Registered
568 Posts
Stay away from Norco, they are quite below par in the trial community. Dont feed into the Ryan Leech hoopla. Dont get me wrong, he is an amazing rider.

If you do want to get into more urban trials, I would personally stay away from suspension forks. As you progress in your riding, you will become quite smooth with just about every drop, gap, and whatever else you get yourself into. (With trials, there isnt much that can stop us) But, I would keep you DJ for stair gapping. Leave your trial for trials.

As far as learning the basic trials moves, you can learn on any bike. Seat or no seat.
Rear wheel hopping, peddle kicking, ups and what not.
But as you progress, you will find that the seat becomes annoying, and gets in the way for bigger moves, and more advanced tequinces. Hooks, Sidehopping, Japslaps, peddleups. etc.
You really do need to make your mind up when it comes to going trials. Either you do want to ride trials, or not.
Here is some pics and links to some more uban trials frames and bike builds.
Echo Bikes (One of the best trials companies on the planet, and most popular)
Echo Bike
Echo Urban Trials Bike

Echo Control-

Planet X: I can never find their website either.

Koxx, the most expensive, but perhaps the best trials bikes in the world. Out of France.
Koxx Bikes
Check out their video section as well, Benito Ros is one of the top riders in the world. And Thomas Remvik Aassen (TRA) is also an amazing rider. The moves that they pull are just crazy.
Koxx urban frame;

Adamant Bikes
Echo Based Company, awsome bikes-

Czar Bikes
I am getting a Czar, if only it could get through customs. Ive been waiting a long time for it to show up. Apart of trials is waiting on stuff to show up. Since there is such a small market, its hard to get stuff. Then getting a part, you wait for it to get through customs.. and man.. it kills ya.

And here are some more links:
BT bikes
Zoo Bikes
Simtra Bikes
Onza Bikes
I have to post this pic of the new Onza Proto bike, its more about the playground then the bike though:

And if you do decide to jump into trials, just remember trials takes practice, patience, dedcation, and determanation.
Riders spend years just to master a single move. Most people start trials and quit due to how amazingly hard it is to ride trials, and ride it well.
Anyone can ride a bike off of somthing, but what impresses people more, is the ability to ride up it. Weather it be a 5' wall, or crazy rock section. Trials opens people minds to whole new lines, and what can be done on a bike. And, if you do start riding, you will find that when you ride in the city, its not uncommon for people to bust out cameras, and before you know it, you have a crowd watching your play around on your bike. Its a great feeling.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I found this pic, taken earlier last year. In the back, you can see a planet X owned by Mike, who owns Flight-Bikes. It is a Planet X, I forget which one excatly, but as you can see, it has a low top tube, and short chain stays. He is also running the Marzocchi forks, with ETA. We always compress the fork so there is barley any travel. He is also running full Forumla Hydro disk. (too much pink for my taste, but the ladies sure love that bike) You wont find very many trials bikes out there that run full disk, we typically use HS33's in the rear.

Julain up there, is riding a Echo HiFi, going from the ledge to your right, and landing on the handrail to the left. Julain there also has the biggest ups I have ever seen, he can easily launch up 5 feet from a dead stop to rear. Its amazing to see in person. When him and I get together, its sheer madness. We pretty much destroy anything that we come across. With the aftermath of tire marks everywhere.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, I know trials is better with rigid, but a super short, super stiff, relatively light suspension fork can't be a bad thing (especially on my wrists!).

though if the build starts to look like it will get over my max budget, I'm dropping the suspension fork idea.

this is my thought: if I'm trying to learn some trials, I really don't want to feel held back from screwing off for a couple minutes when I get frustrated because the rigid hurts my wrists to land a big bunnyhop . . .

but then again, that's why trials bikes have long stems and widish bars, isn't it (longer time for shock from a stupid or bad landing to get to your wrists and to die out a bit, if that makes sense)

igg . . . . I guess the bottom line is I don't take rigid well, and I don't want that to impact my progression

and I plain just like hucking down stairs, which I get a huge urge to do so whenever I see a four, three, five, six, etc. set., though that's not such a big deal. The former point is.

as for the seat, if I'm riding more than a mile to go somewhere to ride (which will definitely be the case: the closet spot with ANYTHING good to do is roughly three miles I think) I want a seat.

Might as well point out the parts I've seen lying around at my friends:

Avid BB7 front brake with Fr-5 lever and cables. Hoo yeah!
Truvativ Hussefelt bars and stem. If I can get 'em real, REAL cheap, what the hell . . .
Shimano Deore XT derailler (if it's off of the guy's bike by then. He doesn't want it, that's the point) and shifter
probably the cassette to go with it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
i think perhaps Adamant and Koxx are out of your reach, though they are brilliant bikes. Echo's i love too but again may be overkill for a beginner (unless you can afford it in which case knock yourself out! :thumbsup: ).

I recently found a half price special on a decent looking Planet-X "Ali Bongo" frame in the UK (https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=1056&ModelID=8255). Pretty good looking frame, and can run a short seat to boot making it a damn fine urban trials beginner frame. GBP179.99 = ~ US$360

Trials experts - is this X frame any good??

They also have X's Pitbull Pro frame for GBP199 (https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8685)

Anyway may not be worth a look if your in the US and can find them for almost the same price, but they seem decently priced none the less (depends on postage).

BTW just saw this on the KOXX site... :eek: :skep: interesting...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
dirtyharry said:
yeah, I know trials is better with rigid, but a super short, super stiff, relatively light suspension fork can't be a bad thing (especially on my wrists!).

though if the build starts to look like it will get over my max budget, I'm dropping the suspension fork idea.

this is my thought: if I'm trying to learn some trials, I really don't want to feel held back from screwing off for a couple minutes when I get frustrated because the rigid hurts my wrists to land a big bunnyhop . . .

but then again, that's why trials bikes have long stems and widish bars, isn't it (longer time for shock from a stupid or bad landing to get to your wrists and to die out a bit, if that makes sense)

igg . . . . I guess the bottom line is I don't take rigid well, and I don't want that to impact my progression

and I plain just like hucking down stairs, which I get a huge urge to do so whenever I see a four, three, five, six, etc. set., though that's not such a big deal. The former point is.

as for the seat, if I'm riding more than a mile to go somewhere to ride (which will definitely be the case: the closet spot with ANYTHING good to do is roughly three miles I think) I want a seat.

Might as well point out the parts I've seen lying around at my friends:

Avid BB7 front brake with Fr-5 lever and cables. Hoo yeah!
Truvativ Hussefelt bars and stem. If I can get 'em real, REAL cheap, what the hell . . .
Shimano Deore XT derailler (if it's off of the guy's bike by then. He doesn't want it, that's the point) and shifter
probably the cassette to go with it.
I dont ride rigid, but look at bmxers, they are hucking more than 6 stairs on their rigid bmx's and how do they do it? Technique, I dont know it cuz im not a bmxer, but apparently you learn how to land properly very quickly, even with a little suspension your wrists are still going to hurt, its just part of it. again if your buget permits, I think you should get some wide bars. Ultimately I think suspension will impact your progression because you wont be as smooth or get some of thoes tricks or whatever as rigid trials riders. Just a little opinion thats backed by nothing but thinking about it. :D

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
those look sweet, but budget apparently would be a problem.

I'm looking to spend no more than about two hundred on a frame, and no more than about two fifty to three on parts. That may not be very much, but any job I'm going to get is going to probably be minimum wage, so unless I want to be working all summer (I mean ALL, call me lazy, but I gotta leave slots here and there to do some other stuff before I get stuck back in school: highschool too, so an ass load of homework (I'm thinking around 20-25 hours a week right now, not too bad, plus a good bit of extra time here and there)) I gotta buy cheap! And besides, if I want to get the right suspension fork, that's gonna be a hunk outta the wallet.

F0ggy, the fork i'm thinking of would not impact my progress AT all, from what I've heard, about it's performance, but I don't wanna say until I have the cash and am ready to buy.

If you REALLY care, you can PM me.

rear brake question:

I hear that Magura HS-33's are truly the sh!t, but with it comes a whole bit of price and maintenence I don't need to worry about (by maintenence, I mean set up and bleeding) so I'm thinking V-brakes.

either a higher end Avid single digit or a higher end shimano

those will be fine, right?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.