Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ripped my old kena kinnetic tires and now i need a new set. i have been looking very closely at the Kenda K-Rads, the Maxxis Holy Rollers, and the Maxxis hook worms. what tires would u recomend..

-steve

·
100% Cheesy Goodness
489 Posts
sreiman said:
I ripped my old kena kinnetic tires and now i need a new set. i have been looking very closely at the Kenda K-Rads, the Maxxis Holy Rollers, and the Maxxis hook worms. what tires would u recomend..

-steve
Check out the arrow launch. I have been running them for 2 years on my dj/urban/commuter, and i love them and really dont want to ride anything else. I have a K Rad collecting dust in my closet. The launches are nice cause they have a medium heavy sidewall so they arent nearly as flimsy as the Krads, but not as heavy as the hookworms. Another plus about em is that they dirt jump incredibly well. The only time i have ever had a problem with them is when it gets really wet, or super loose and dry. they roll super fast but dont wash out too easily on hard pack. with about 50-60psi of air they are perfect for the urban, drop it down to 35-40psi and they are good for jumps. they are reasonably priced, and with commuting 3-4 days a week with only a rear brake i get about 4-6mo of wear out of them. check em out i doubt you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I run Maxxis holy rollers and they hook up real nice on street and hardpack. Fairly lightweight and really resistant from pinch flats. Havent ridden them but the arrow launches seem nice too.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
sreiman said:
how wide are the arrow launches?
question is how wide do you want them?

i usually ride 2.3's, but because my friend won't give me my krads back (my advice is to get them, but i haven't tried launches) i have to run hookworms.... krads are better than hookworms, hook worms can't hold up on anything ANYTHING but cement....

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
good thread

I was about to post one asking about the ff. urban tires
1. Kenda K-Rads
2. Arrow Launch
3. Specialized Compound Pro ATB

'glad at least the 1st 2 have had comments on.

Sortafast, do you have the weights on the KRad and Arrow? Ever considered the Compound Pros?

sortafast said:
Check out the arrow launch. I have been running them for 2 years on my dj/urban/commuter, and i love them and really dont want to ride anything else. I have a K Rad collecting dust in my closet. The launches are nice cause they have a medium heavy sidewall so they arent nearly as flimsy as the Krads, but not as heavy as the hookworms. Another plus about em is that they dirt jump incredibly well. The only time i have ever had a problem with them is when it gets really wet, or super loose and dry. they roll super fast but dont wash out too easily on hard pack. with about 50-60psi of air they are perfect for the urban, drop it down to 35-40psi and they are good for jumps. they are reasonably priced, and with commuting 3-4 days a week with only a rear brake i get about 4-6mo of wear out of them. check em out i doubt you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i guess this is for the holly rollers or the krads. the hooks wont hold up when im in dirt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You won't be dissapointed w/ the launch's! They shred parks, kill urban, and DJ awsome hp or loose stuff! You'd be suprised. I even roll em at the bmx and no probs.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Holy rollers come in a 26 * 2.4, and hook up really nice on just about every street and dirt jump situation. The side walls are alot better than the k-rads and therefore the Holy Rollers hold corners much better and are very resistant against pinch flats, even with normal tubes in them. They roll super fast on street too. :)

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
K-Rad info

Here is a list of the K-Rads sizes and weights...

26 x 1.95 = 635gr
26 x 2.30 = 750gr
26 x 2.50 = 885gr
24 x 2.30 = 635gr

I like my K-Rads allot. They are really fast rolling and offer great grip, even in dirt.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The Holy Rollers only come in 26 x 2.4 which weights a mere 660g I think (They come in 24" too but for 26" your only option is 2.4). Check the mtbr.com reviews. The Holy Rollers have much better reviews. I ride with 2 guys who use K-Rads and I haven't actually ridden them so I can't comment on performance but the Holy Rollers do look a lot nicer. The tread is cooler in real life (although similar) and the logos on the tires look much nicer than the K-Rads. But that's all just my opinion.

·
That one dude
142 Posts
sreiman said:
the k rads might be pretty sick in 2.5
I run the holy rollers in 26" form, and as was posted above me, they rock in all DJ/urban/skatepark situations. My buddy used to run the arrows, but now has the holy rollers, and much prefers the holy rollers. We do mostly dirtjumping, and it is a prime tire for our purposes ;)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
i be buildin ht soon for urban dj and i be runnin highroller semi slick front and either launch or holy rollers rear

dont ask, instincts

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
Maxxis website says

865g for the 26x2.4 Holy Rollers. Still, thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't known about them until this thread :eek:

dandurston said:
The Holy Rollers only come in 26 x 2.4 which weights a mere 660g I think (They come in 24" too but for 26" your only option is 2.4). Check the mtbr.com reviews. The Holy Rollers have much better reviews. I ride with 2 guys who use K-Rads and I haven't actually ridden them so I can't comment on performance but the Holy Rollers do look a lot nicer. The tread is cooler in real life (although similar) and the logos on the tires look much nicer than the K-Rads. But that's all just my opinion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.