Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning an urban fun/utility bike to compliment my SS 29r. It will not be a hardcore urban assault bike because I don't have any intention of riding walls, trees, railings, and the like.

This will be a 26" wheeled bike used to bomb the local park's grass hills, small steps, cement paths, etc. for fun and excercise when I can't hit the trails. Other duties include pulling my son on his trail-a-bike, family rides in the neighborhood, grocery runs, and short commutes to work or school possibly.

I will start around a rigid IRO Mia Frame and fork, mech discs, platform pedals, Kenda K-rad tires. I'm thinking I'll gear it higher than my trail SS 29r. Please give me your thoughts and show me pics of similar bikes you have built!

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool

singletrack said:
That looks a bit like what I have in mind, only with a less agressive posture to the frame, a rigid fork and smoother tires. I like the look of a black or dark colored bike, but since I want to be seen by cars and don't plan to be riding forbidden areas much. I'm going with "hey look" red rather than "stealth" colors.

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
Well, my bike is a "small" the "large" has 1" more TT. The bigger one combined with the proper fork I think it'd suit your needs. I think the geometry is pretty neutral with a 5" fork. You can't beat the price, Jenson has that frame for $149!

I've got an Intense 2.4 semislick in back, I run about 70 psi in it and it rolls quite well on pavement, still corners well on trail. Also has bomber sidewalls - no pinch flatting here. I don't think the 2.7 Gazzo up front slows me down much, but a smaller/smoother tire would work... I just had one of those laying around.

This is my primary in-town transport (ergo the lock on the h-bar), stealth colors help keep it unstolen.

Besides, I personally feel much safer when cars can't see me, rather than hoping they do and being suprised when they don't.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not alone then

SanAnMan said:
The pain of lost loves..... I left her for an FS rig and regreted it. Now she haunts my sleep.
Bikes and bike rides fill my dreams regularly, my wife thinks there is a problem with that.

·
Something's tingling
154 Posts
Mattman said:
I'm planning an urban fun/utility bike to compliment my SS 29r. It will not be a hardcore urban assault bike because I don't have any intention of riding walls, trees, railings, and the like.

This will be a 26" wheeled bike used to bomb the local park's grass hills, small steps, cement paths, etc. for fun and excercise when I can't hit the trails. Other duties include pulling my son on his trail-a-bike, family rides in the neighborhood, grocery runs, and short commutes to work or school possibly.

I will start around a rigid IRO Mia Frame and fork, mech discs, platform pedals, Kenda K-rad tires. I'm thinking I'll gear it higher than my trail SS 29r. Please give me your thoughts and show me pics of similar bikes you have built!
My first SS. It was an old Diamondback Outlook I got from a garage sale. This one did double duty from the trails to the streets. Geared 38x15, I took her to the Rosarito-Ensenada ride in Sept. 03. She's now resting comfortably as a 1x6 city runner while my new Mia! takes care of the off-road duties.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.