Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking deeply into picking up a 29er based off of all the good reviews that they seem to get but I'm wondering if I would be better suited for a 26.

My riding will involve a mix of urban & trail. When I say urban, I refer to inner city riding ie stairs, wall drops, etc.

Which setup is best suited towards urban settings?

For what it's worth, I'm 6' 195 lbs.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I think its less to do with wheel size and more to do with overall bike layout, but I would still say that 26" would be better suited. I have recently been playing around with some urban riding, and I have to say a 20" 29er that fits me great as an off road bike makes a poor urban bike.

I'm also a pretty bad urban rider. All i do is practice wheelies, fail horribly at trying to bunny hop, and do drops to flat off staircases or small walls.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Get a BMX bike that is what they are for. That said, 6-7 foot drops off of loading ramps is tough on any big wheel bike. Hope you have health insurance...................and wear a helmet!

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Geez, somebody shrink those pics!

I ride a 20" BMX bike and I also have an Eastern Element 26". In the past I had a Volume Sledgehammer and a Giant STP-SS (I didn't like the front suspension for urban).

If you really plan on hittin up urban, I would go single-speed, rigid, and smaller wheels (24" preferably - or just go with a BMX bike). But a 29" wheel bike is definitely not the best for real urban.

You can jump curbs and such, but hitting wallrides, feeble grinds, manuals, etc. the 20"/24"/26" route would be much better.

I know some will say "it's the rider, not the bike..." blah blah blah... but you can also play basketball with bare feet - that doesn't making it a f*cking good idea. :p

Here's a video of Anson Wellington for reference.

This is my 26" Eastern Element, although I'm much more crafty with a 20" bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts