Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all-

I'm new to riding around the city and brooklyn and wanted advice on locking up my bike.

it's a new ride with disc brakes and quick release hubs.
my LBS told me to be sure to remove the front tire and lock it to the rear tire and then to the post.

should I get locking axels?
what about my seatpost? should I get a locking nut for that too .. . or take it with me?

I hear cannondale used to make lock out axels and seat post bolts.
am I paranoid?

I need a primer in all of this . .any help would be appreciated.
thanks

lomoid

·
Recovering
1,483 Posts
You are paranoid, and you should be paranoid. I personally don't lock any of my bikes up around the city, because I don't park them in the city. No lock is going to stop a determined thief, and my bikes are worth too much to me. I ride them in the city all the time, but I don't stop, or if I do, the bike's always within a few feet of me.

Seriously, *any* lock can be beaten, given 20-30 minutes. Many locks can be beaten in much less time than that. If you really need to ride a bike for personal transportation around the city, get a beater bike for $25 that you can lock up without worrying about it. But don't subject your new, beautiful mountain bike to that. It will get stolen.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Haha, I'm in the process of trying to get the locking skewers OFF of a bike I just bought from my bud. Just take your seat with you. Get a Kryptonite NY chain with a disc lock. It's like 12 pounds of metal. But uh... I wouldn' ride anything but a beater around the city, there's this one vid of how two guys went around stealing their own bikes with everything from hacksaws, to boltclippers, to angle ginders, to hammer and chisel. Not once were they stopped. And this was all staged in high traffic areas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
Haha, I'm in the process of trying to get the locking skewers OFF of a bike I just bought from my bud. Just take your seat with you. Get a Kryptonite NY chain with a disc lock. It's like 12 pounds of metal. But uh... I wouldn' ride anything but a beater around the city, there's this one vid of how two guys went around stealing their own bikes with everything from hacksaws, to boltclippers, to angle ginders, to hammer and chisel. Not once were they stopped. And this was all staged in high traffic areas.
yeah . . .not locking it up seems to be the majority of the advice I'm getting.
looks like I'll find a beater to go and pick up ma' eggs.

thanks

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
if you have a bike worth more than $80, don't lock it up for more than 5 minutes. my nice mountain bikes are locked up IN MY LIVING ROOM.

and when you do lock your beater on the sidewalk, use the megachain type with the toughest industrial padlock you can find. if you want the no-brainer solution, get the Krypto Fuhgettaboutit chain with the non-tubular keyed disc lock.

-rob in brklyn

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Sigh, yeah I was stupid enough to think my new $500 mtb would've been fine for a few minutes, locked to a sign w/a Kryptonite *cable* lock. Expensive lesson that was, and up to then I never did stop in the city during my rides.

Now, my beater bike (well, *I* don't think it's such a beater) is locked up using a Kryptonite quad chain, front wheel and frame to a secure sign or pole of some sort.

I have the seat chained (with a wrapped bike chain) to the frame (once had a seat stolen); hose clamps for the quick releases (not really necessary.) Had the rear wheel stolen while in college, but not while in NYC, and I don't lock it.

Never chain to a parking meter, a tree, or a sign in the ground that's very loose.

If you lock it onto some scaffolding, make sure the bolts can't be easily removed.

Been very lucky in the past four years- nothing stolen :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.