Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Urban Assault/Urban Mountain Biking/etc...

What is it?

After my Googling attempts, I've come across a general explanation as a form of freeriding (whatever that is).

So, hoping that there are some experts or enthusiasts here,
what exactly falls under the banner of "Urban Assault"?

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to get a new Opie as my entry-level bike, but got lucky and came across an '07. Supposedly, the Opie fits my bill for aggressive street riding/jumping/running with the occasional trail jaunt.

Basically, I'm an old street BMX'r who's getting back into biking. Thought about road biking, but nixed that idea...picked up one of two GF's this past weekend and hit NYC with it.

Getting back into my jumping mode was like (pun intended) riding a bike! :D

I've seen some video of guys doing some extreme BMX-like tricks and it being called Urban Assault. Not me...I never was the extreme trickster.

I'm all for running down stairs, bunnyhopping, jumping over benches, more obstacle course/evasion @ high speed type stuff...go through it, around it, or over it, but don't let it stop you.

Here's a cool little video I enjoy watching...get past the first minute or so and it's on! (kids, don't try this at home! LOL):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7Jes8OnGVo8&feature=related

They have fast bikes and I considered getting one, but I'm pretty sure I'd destroy my rims with my first jump off of a wall or something. :D

So I decided to go with a bit more grunt in a Mountain Bike that I'm going to build for speed starting with a set of Maxxis Hookworms then with parts as I get a feel for what I want to build.

·
Five is right out
3,174 Posts
Uncle Cliffy said:
Assaulting the urban landscape on your bike...
Or being assaulted in an urban landscape by a bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
pursuiter said:
Nice, that's attempted homcide, should be good for 5-7 years, hope you get some good dates in jail :thumbsup:
Not really. The biker went through a redlight and cut off a car, and would have been hit if the car hadn't slammed on it's brakes. I would have just said I didn't see him.

People like that are jackasses and need to say hi to my front fender.

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
True, but 7 minutes from upper Manhattan to Brooklyn is still cool! :thumbsup:

And over here, cars hit pedestrians a lot more than they hit bikes + the cars are notorious for running bikes into other cars.

This is New York City...it's dog eat dog.

Only the strong survive.

:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts