Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! searching for an efficient way of store our bikes I found a systen called Veloglide. It store the bike hanging from the roof upsidedown, looks wifehappy but I am concerned if this will have any negative effect on the fork/oil/seals. I guess not as these forks take a beating on the trail, but will like to know if someone have any experience on this?

Attachments

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
onixbonilla said:
Hi! searching for an efficient way of store our bikes I found a systen called Veloglide. It store the bike hanging from the roof upsidedown, looks wifehappy but I am concerned if this will have any negative effect on the fork/oil/seals. I guess not as these forks take a beating on the trail, but will like to know if someone have any experience on this?
It will probably do more good than harm for the seals, by allowing them to get well lubed while hanging. I often turn my bike upside down for a while to let lube flow up to the upper seals and bushings.

You might have to watch out for problems with hydraulic brakes though.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I've got my bikes hung from the front wheel, so the oil would sit at the seals. no negative effects that I've seen in a few months of storing them like that. only thing is that if it's an open bath fork, your compression/rebound is gonna feel funny (namely, it wont work) until all the oil gets back to the bottom of the fork.

also, you'll notice if your brakes need to be bled right away.

·
Registered
263 Posts
my bikes are hung upside down or from the front or rear wheel and I have never had trouble with my hydraulic brakes needing to be serviced. I have read instances where people have noticed this but I certainly haven't. I worked at a shop for a few years (many years ago) and everyone's bikes at the shop including all the bikes for sale (many 5000+ dollar mtn bikes) were hung upside down without brake issues. It's best for the seals as a previous poster mentioned.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
it's not so much that an upside-down bike will cause brakes to need to be serviced, but it will put any bubbles that may have been missed in the bleeding process to move to a place where they're noticeable (i.e. from the reservoir to the caliper). namely, if your brakes need bleeding, then storing a bike upside down will probably point out that fact.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you got air in your reservoir you can use a rubber band to get the lever in "brake" and the air in the reservoire wont be a problem even if you have the bike up side down. (tip from magura)

·
Token Hillbilly
712 Posts
I store all of my bikes on one of these with no problems as of yet with front forks. I am getting some Avid J7's on Monday, and will report back if I see any problems.

Not a bad little storage solution for $55. I managed to get mine on sale for $35 back during the summer.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I left my bike a few times upside down, and the following day the brakes don't work well (the brake levers have waaaay to much travel).
After a few hours riding and using them, they operate normally.
I am using Tektro Auriga Comp hydraulic brakes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.