Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Knolliac
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Santa Cruz Bikes and special thanks to Bob Barwick and John Brown of Family Cycling in Santa Cruz!! I am currently on the mend from a nasty crash at the end of March and decided that a new Nomad would make for a wonderful carrot to inspire me to push hard and make the most of my time rehabbing. I emailed Family Cycling about two weeks ago and they secured a 2008 1.5" Nomad for me. Last Friday Bob picked it up from Santa Cruz Bikes and yesterday it was shipped. Today at around 2:30PM UPS showed up!

All I can say is WOW! This is my third SC frame (classic Blur, BLT) and this Nomad is far above and beyond what I have come to expect. Absolutely beautiful! For those who care, it is a large anodized frame and with the DHX/steel sping (450lbs) and seatpost qr weighs 8.35lbs...Oh and it's all American made. I will be building it up over the next few weeks. Only part I need to order at this time is a Chris King devolution headset. I will probably build up some new wheels for her next month and there maybe a CCBD in her near future. Time will tell, but for now the build is going to look like this...

Frame" 2008 Large Ano slate Nomad
Shock: 2008 Fox DHX (for now)
Fork: 2008 Fox 36 TALAS RC2
Headset: Chris King devolution (blue)
Bars: Gravity DH Carbon 31.8 X 25mm Rise
Stem: Thomson X4 31.8 X 70mm
Grips: ODI Ruffians (Hope Grip Doctors)
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Saddle: Chromag Lynx or Trailmaster (still deciding)
Shifters: Sram X9
Cables/Housing: Power Cordz and Jagwire Switch Ti Housing
Rear Derailuer: Sram X9 Med.
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
Cassette: 2008 Shimano XT
Chain: KMC X9 SL superlight
Crankset: 2008 Shimano XT (Raceface 34T middle ring)
Bottom Bracket: Enduro Ceramic
Bash: Raceface 34T
Chain Tensioner: Blackspire Stinger (MRP Roller)
Brakes: 2007 Juicy 7's (Straitline Levers and Goodridge Lines, Galfer Pads)
Rotors: Formula Oro 180mm Front 160mm Rear
Pedals: Speedplay Drillium
Wheelset: Hope Pro II's laced to DT Swiss 5.1's (July build will be Blue Pro II's to white
Halo Freedoms)
Rear Skewer: DT Swiss RWS
Tires: Schwalbe Big Betty's

Here are a few pics of the frame. Man I can't wait to get back in the saddle...Full build pics will be posted in July...

Attachments

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Hey O'wise and Ancient Mending One, congrats on th' Nomad. You'll love it, sooner or later. Cool carrot. Don't know if yer aware of an issue w/some of the frame/fork combo's on the Nomads, but I had to fix mine due to my initial headset choice. Personally I think the SC remedy is sad. Hope you fair better. If you do have an issue; at least you got time to "fix yer carrot".

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=423376

Come to think of it, I think you'll be ok. I was riding last night w/a bro of mine and he was on a large ano Nomad w/a Talas and Chris King headset and his fork cleared jus' fine. Don't let me get you rilled up over nuthin'....:devil:

Attachments

·
Knolliac
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep the dog's are super stoked for me! :D

As for fork clearance issues, I don't anticipate any with the King.:thumbsup:

So, last night I pulled all of the pivot axles. The bottom ones were dry. Maybe had the tiniest amount of grease/oil on them. There was a thin layer of anti-seize applied to the upper axles (for the shock). I went ahead and added a generous coating of anti-seize to all of them and also added a touch of blue loctite to all the bolts. Should be good to go now. Just need to order that headset...:p

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
ancientwisdom said:
Yep the dog's are super stoked for me! :D

As for fork clearance issues, I don't anticipate any with the King.:thumbsup:

So, last night I pulled all of the pivot axles. The bottom ones were dry. Maybe had the tiniest amount of grease/oil on them. There was a thin layer of anti-seize applied to the upper axles (for the shock). I went ahead and added a generous coating of anti-seize to all of them and also added a touch of blue loctite to all the bolts. Should be good to go now. Just need to order that headset...:p
Cool !! Yers is th' 1st one I've seen that actually had the head badge still attached to the frame when you got it. Looks good. Mend up and ride Holmes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.