Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously! They dropped off a wheelset I ordered 1 block away from me. Luckily, the neighbor looked up my phone number and called me. The wheelset is a Spinergy Xyclone Disc (advertised at 1600 grams but came in at 1700 grams without skewers or rim tape). Don't get this wheelset IF you are using an 11-32 XTR or XT 9 spd cassette. The spider will hit the flange. All other cassettes fit.

Attachments

·
Hoops - Big and Small
1,083 Posts
Flange Fitter

flipnidaho said:
The spider will hit the flange. All other cassettes fit.
You putting your 575 on a diet? I saw your post on the fork - man your a good tester for bike parts!

You going to mill the flange and get it back down to 1600grrrs. Are those Alu spokes? I thought Spinergy is all about glass/fiber.

What cassette you end up using?

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, even better...

I decided to mold a new carbon fiber XTR spider and machine some new Ti cogs... hehe
Actually, i put the Xyclone rear wheel on the 575 since the SRAM cassette fit and kept the XTR front on the 575 (so the Fuel now has a Xyclone front and an XTR rear). The XTR's wheelsets have been treated with Stans and I didn't want to mess with a compressor (the Xyclones are tubed)... I know, it will look freaky (like wearing white past labor day) but I'm a dork anyway...
The spokes are PBO fiber (whatever that means).
The 575 is right at about 27lbs which is probably as low as I'll get it... although another 1lb loss is possible but very expensive (and may require the use of stupd-light parts)...

·
Hoops - Big and Small
1,083 Posts
Nice Job!

flipnidaho said:
I decided to mold a new carbon fiber XTR spider and machine some new Ti cogs... hehe
Man your good at turning lemons into lemon aid! I've heard great things about that wheelset - I've always wanted to try one.

Saw PricePoint has them "on sale", damn tempting.

Glad to hear everything turned out good for you - I kinda have a thing for frankin bikes, probably comes from when I was a kid, I built up some crazy stuff from spare bikes laying around the garage.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pricepoint is where i got it...

But I did see it some other place online for $399 so maybe PP can match that... Not a bad deal for a relatively light disc wheelset. Spinergys had problems with the previous wheelset's cassette body and the bearings used to go loose pretty easily. I also heard nasty things about the crappy Customer Service but I heard that things have been redesigned and customer service improved substantially so it wasn't too risky... I can also source a new DT240 and XR4.1d wheelset for $389 if you're interested... Weight is right at 1700 grams for the set... Shipping is $25 (I'm not building it myself which is probably a good thing...hehe). Not a bad deal since the DT240 hubset alone can retail for close to $400.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.