Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my '06 Monocog yesterday, and wow had some disappointments. The cog was bent, scratches on frame, headset came loose in box, worried that more damage has been done that I can't readily see (novice rider here).

Seller told me she got a slightly used bike box that (based on pics I sent her) was trashed by UPS. Appears box came open, stuff may have come out, and was repacked (there was missing packing material e.g. peanuts, loose and missing bubble wrap).

Could I get some advice on how I should handle this (should I take it to a bike shop for damage assessment). I attached a couple pics but I don't think that does it justice. Thank goodness I paid the insurance. Thank you.

p.s. the bike was shipped from Colorado to Ohio for $125

Attachments

·
don't thread on me
429 Posts
Hope you didn't do business with the UPS Store. I had a similar experience with an insured package that I sent from Atlanta to Chicago. When it got there, part of the contents was missing. I went to the UPS Store to make a claim, and they would not honor the insurance claim because the package had been "signed for". They said since the package had arrived, they had no liability.

Here is where it gets really weird. I went to UPS Corporate to complain, and their official response was, "the UPS Store is not part of UPS and UPS has no control over these outlets, as they are independently owned." Can you believe that. :eekster: :madman: :madmax:

As always, buyer beware. As a result, Big Brown gets no more of my business.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
If you were home when UPS came, you should have made a complaint immediately with the driver. If not, get on the phone now. Then call the seller and make a complaint as well.

It really seems like the seller is at fault for poorly packaging it. The box appears to be intact. It doesn't look "trashed" for a used box. I've seen much worse with perfectly fine contents.

It looks like the top came open. I don't see a whole lot of packaging tape holding it closed. That's not UPS's fault.
Was the chainring wrapped fully with bubble wrap? It should have been wrapped and taped securely. To be bent like that it doesn't seem to have been properly protected. Throwing a frame w/ chainring in a box with some peanuts isn't a good idea.

The thing that'd probably pi$$ me off the most is the headset loose in the box. WTF? No excuse for that. It's all dirty to boot. I'm surprised it didn't get lost. It should've been wrapped and taped to something.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Wow, that actually looks like a poor job on the part of the shipper!

Basically, everything should be double wrapped and double boxed. Anything that can bend (i.e. chainrings, crank arms) should be protected in such a way that they don't move against anything else, including the sides of the box. Even though the box says "Do Not Lay Flat," enough material should be stuffed in there to allow it to support a modestly heavy load from the side.

UPS will look at this and say "Claim Denied - Insufficient Packing."

I think you'd better take up the damages with the seller, and work out a partial refund for the bent and broken bits.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
churchie said:
I just got my '06 Monocog yesterday, and wow had some disappointments. The cog was bent, scratches on frame, headset came loose in box, worried that more damage has been done that I can't readily see (novice rider here).

Seller told me she got a slightly used bike box that (based on pics I sent her) was trashed by UPS. Appears box came open, stuff may have come out, and was repacked (there was missing packing material e.g. peanuts, loose and missing bubble wrap).

Could I get some advice on how I should handle this (should I take it to a bike shop for damage assessment). I attached a couple pics but I don't think that does it justice. Thank goodness I paid the insurance. Thank you.

p.s. the bike was shipped from Colorado to Ohio for $125
I would put total blame on the shipper. Most people have no clue when it comes to packing a bike properly to survive UPS/FedEx/USPS/DHL/Airlines unscathed. It takes a little more time, a little more material, a little more research and a little more "desire to do a good job" mentality than most people want to encounter. If I were you, I would target the seller.

Sorry about the damage, but at least you were insured.

BB

·
Banned
960 Posts
seller blew that one,very poorly packed,new chainring is about $30.00 them the seller to split ot with you......the box looks fine,the shipping rate was very high,in fact a total rip off

·
Let's get weird
181 Posts
I'd expect something to be damaged upon delivery based on what that packaging looked like. Do you have a picture of how it looked when you opened the box? How everything was secured together? Only a handful of peanuts and a piece of foam?

Like tlg, I've had boxes delivered that looked like they'd been used for hundreds of shipments and the contents were perfect because it was properly packed.

And $125.00 from Colorado to Ohio? Even with a small packaging fee (but for what?), that's really steep.

Did you pay with paypal?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
+1. Obvious negligence on the shipper's part.

I don't think a double box is needed personally, but the frame should be suspended with so that nothing (esp. the chainring) is resting on the ground. A fork block should be used to keep it from being crushed, and a careful packer would protect the drops in a similar fashion. Axle protectors should be used to keep them from poking through the box and scratching the frame. Cardboard should separate the wheels from the frame. Everything else should be wrapped and zip-tied down so that nothing can move around and cause damage. That is how manufacturers pack their bikes, and I have received bikes in seriously caved in boxes that suffered no actual damage because they were packed correctly.

Most bike shops would probably give away these materials if asked nicely.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
evasive said:
Yeah, I wouldn't call that box trashed.

FWIW, the UPS Store is just a rebadged Mail Boxes Etc.
Yes, you're correct as UPS purchased Mail Boxes, Etc. in early 2001 for an all cash deal of $191 Million - which wasn't bad considering US Office Products had purchased Mail Boxes in 1997 for $277 Million and went bankrupt creating the distressed sale that UPS snagged.

But the point remains: the seller packed the bike improperly leading to the damage - not UPS.

BB

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is weird

Roswell52 said:
Hope you didn't do business with the UPS Store. I had a similar experience with an insured package that I sent from Atlanta to Chicago. When it got there, part of the contents was missing. I went to the UPS Store to make a claim, and they would not honor the insurance claim because the package had been "signed for". They said since the package had arrived, they had no liability.

Here is where it gets really weird. I went to UPS Corporate to complain, and their official response was, "the UPS Store is not part of UPS and UPS has no control over these outlets, as they are independently owned." Can you believe that. :eekster: :madman: :madmax:

As always, buyer beware. As a result, Big Brown gets no more of my business.
Around here, (logan, utah), the local UPS will not ship bike gear unless it is packaged and shipped through the UPS store due to so many claims. This of course makes the costs skyrocket becuase packaging through them is astronomical. Needles to say, I now only use FedEx.

·
Banned
449 Posts
I think I would've either taken the crank off or turned the frame upside down on that one. You can see the mark in the bottom of the box where the crank bit through it. Definitely poor packaging. Is that picture of the empty box all that was in there?

For reference, I shipped a pretty expensive frame (Chumba XCL) last week for $28 via UPS Ground in a similar box. I put a block of wood in between the chainstays (wrapped with blue painter's tape to keep it in place), wrapped the frame with a roll of bubble wrap, then put 2 garbage bags over that, and then in the box I put one whole bag of Office Depot packing peanuts, put the frame in the box, and then dumped another bag of packing peanuts in the box around the frame, and then topped it off with newspaper. Frame got there fine.

On the other hand, I got a frame from Pricepoint where the chainstay insert was missing and instead they wrapped it with bubble wrap. It survived, but it was sketchy enough that I doubt I would order another frame from them.

·
I bike long tyme.
1,107 Posts
Man, you got shafted. The seller completely gouged you on the shipping price and took no time in correctly packing that frame. I've sold multiple frames/completes and I package them to withstand falling out of the UPS truck at 70 mph. Gotta make it bulletproof cause they get handled by complete yo-yo's along the way. That guy showed no love packing that frame. I'd be pissed at the seller.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Definately Shipper/seller Error.

This is how I roll, from 6 wks ago RX Exo sale, full dissassembly, fully and completely bubble wrapped, fully and completely photo documented, with photo's and online tracking and insurance provided to buyer. This job took me around 4 hrs labor, 70 linear feet of bubble wrap (2 ft wide), a box of heavy duty gallon zipper freezer bags, 3 rolls of packing tape, box of wire ties, 2 boxes, and $514 actual shipping fee's via Fedex International Air.

Michael Jordan plays basketball.
Charles Manson kills people.
I buy, sell, pack, and ship bicycles & parts.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I watched my friend box and ship a bike once. He removed the pedals with a oversized crecent wrench. It scratched the new xtr cranks bad. He said the guy was getting such a good deal he didn't care.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
slowride said:
What do you use the ziploc bags for?
Lots of things, seperate bags for each item:
  1. HS spacers/cap
  2. skewers
  3. cassette
  4. chain
  5. derailer (each)
  6. stem
  7. pedals
  8. etc

At the end, the entire set of bags is then taped/rolled into a big Fatty-style roll, and bubble wrapped for ultimate protection, and insurance that it doesn't mar other box contents.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Whoa! I definitely don't sell as many frames as njc, but I do a similar packing jobber on all the ones that leave my doorstep.

This is a Fisher Joshua I basically built a shell for before dropping it into a custom-resized double box. Talk about fun with a Dremel tool! Overkill? Yeah! But not much would piss me off more than to have to pay return shipping on a damaged POS frame I just sold.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.