Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a roof rack and don't really know what the pro's and con's are for an upright system or a fork mount system. I have a front suspension bike with disk breaks. I guess I'm leaning toward the upright because I don't want to have to store the front tire. Let me know what your opinions are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
debichs said:
I'm looking at getting a roof rack and don't really know what the pro's and con's are for an upright system or a fork mount system. I have a front suspension bike with disk breaks. I guess I'm leaning toward the upright because I don't want to have to store the front tire. Let me know what your opinions are.
Upright mount racks WILL screw up the paint on your downtube. OTOH, "lawyer lips" make front-wheel removal harder than it needs to be. You pays your money and you takes your choice. With any roof rack, make a habit of putting your garage door opener IN YOUR SEATBAG. This will require you to actually touch your bike before driving into your garage.

A little less convenience, or a very expensive "CRUNCH". The choice is yours. I put my bike in my car. It's the safest way, and it's free.

--Shannon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
trbogti said:
It takes all of about 1.5 seconds to remove the front wheel, especially with disc brakes.
I'm not realy worried about the time it takes, I just don't want to have to put the thing inside the car where I might have other gear or people. I know I can put it on the roof too, but that meens buying a wheel holder for every bike I want to put up there.
 

·
\|/ What 60 looks like
Joined
·
105 Posts
A Happy Fork Mount User

trbogti said:
It takes all of about 1.5 seconds to remove the front wheel, especially with disc brakes.
And, once you clamp it in there that bike is not going anywhere but where your car goes. I prefer the fork mounts as I have enough rails/mounts to haul four bikes on our van or car. If I'm feeling lazy I'll just throw the wheels in the car rather than put them on the rack. I've never driven in the garage with the bikes on top and never had a bike fall off in twenty years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
tube_ee said:
Upright mount racks WILL screw up the paint on your downtube...
No all upright mounts use the downtube to secure the bike. The Yakima cobra series does not touch the bike frame in any way- it only touches the tires. It also works equally well for mountain or road bikes. See attached pics.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What happens to the bulky bracket that is holding the front wheel when there is no bike? Do you have to take it off, or does it fold down? Can I drive in my garage with the rack on the car but no bike?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
Both of the brackets for the front wheel fold down. The rack is about 6" tall when folded. Here is a picture of it folded.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
I've been really happy with my Thule upright racks for the 10 years I've had them. Never lost a bike on the highway, never drove into a garage, haven't lost any paint on the downtubes. Upright makes it really quick & convenient to load & unload the bikes. Whenever I drive with someone who has a fork mounts, I really notice how much easier my upright racks are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
I prefer fork mount, because...

1. Fork mount make your bike lighter to lift up, lower the center of gravity for easier installation. That's a big advantage if you're not too tall or have a high roof (SUV, truck).
2. looks cool and better aerodynamic.
3. less device hanging on your roof (basically a bike tray only)
4. Wheel removal takes extra time but easier installation saves it back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Just an observation...regarding thoughts of crime.

VT no 1 2 or 3 said:
No all upright mounts use the downtube to secure the bike. The Yakima cobra series does not touch the bike frame in any way- it only touches the tires. It also works equally well for mountain or road bikes. See attached pics.

You know something? I've considered the upright mount like these for my Enduro until just now. In looking at this bike, you can't walk away from your vehicle for 1 minute. :eek: Particularly if you have a car (low roof). Bike theives can be very quick. :(

The only thing that can't be taken is the wheels. All a person has to do is pop the front and rear quick releases, grab the top tube and throw your bike in their vehicle and be gone. :confused: This is something to keep in mind for those of you who consider this system. Maybe for those of you that have this system or really like it, you could use a cable lock of some sort as a theft deterrent.

Personally, I'd rather bolt and lock everything down at the fork. Right now, however, I just take the front wheel off and stick my Enduro in the back seat. For now, its free and its the most efficient of my two options. I'll have to decide on a roof rack soon :rolleyes: though since my wife's bike will be complete shortly. :cool:
 

·
Derailleurless
Joined
·
9,122 Posts
DubbL Tapp said:
You know something? I've considered the upright mount like these for my Enduro until just now. In looking at this bike, you can't walk away from your vehicle for 1 minute. :eek: Particularly if you have a car (low roof). Bike theives can be very quick. :(

The only thing that can't be taken is the wheels. All a person has to do is pop the front and rear quick releases, grab the top tube and throw your bike in their vehicle and be gone. :confused: This is something to keep in mind for those of you who consider this system. Maybe for those of you that have this system or really like it, you could use a cable lock of some sort as a theft deterrent.

Personally, I'd rather bolt and lock everything down at the fork. Right now, however, I just take the front wheel off and stick my Enduro in the back seat. For now, its free and its the most efficient of my two options. I'll have to decide on a roof rack soon :rolleyes: though since my wife's bike will be complete shortly. :cool:
The King Cobra has a chingadera retractable cable lock built in to the rear part of the wheel holder, which quickly wraps around the frame and snaps onto a bracket. A theft deterrent, but not theft prevention -- no rack offers that.

I have to tell you though that after using a hitch rack for almost 7 years, and now using a King Cobra on top of my Subaru for the past three months, I am much more comfortable leaving my bikes in a crowded parking lot when I want to run in for coffee or a post-ride meal. I can better see the bikes with them on top of the car, it's more obvious if someone is trying to f- with them, and I'm no longer worried about grandma backing her '68 Plymouth Valiant into my pride and joy. But this would be true of any roof rack, fork mount or upright.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
debichs said:
I'm looking at getting a roof rack and don't really know what the pro's and con's are for an upright system or a fork mount system. I have a front suspension bike with disk breaks. I guess I'm leaning toward the upright because I don't want to have to store the front tire. Let me know what your opinions are.
Sportworks Bob Racket or Factory Bob

https://www.sportworks.com/stbob.asp
Super easy and quick to use. Just set it in the tray, pull the arm down on the tire and strap down the rear wheel. Very solid. Much easier than trying to line up the dropouts with the fork mount. Use a cable and lock to deter theft.
 

·
A Real Winner.
Joined
·
863 Posts
Standard Yakima upright is the way to go. I used to swear by fork mounts, but on my current car, fork mounts hung too far back preventing my trunk from opening all the way. Also, with the uprights, you don't have to worry about muddy tires in your car (Yes, I know there are the little forks for your roof for the front wheels, but that is another thing to mount to your roof). As far as looks go, the fork mount is definitly cooler though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
DaFireMedic said:
Its strictly a matter of preference, but I'd take whatever I could get the best deal on. I don't think it matters that much. My Thule fork mount rack:
I have one of each. Sportworks Bob Ratchet upright is for carrying my Cannondale because the lefty makes it too much of a hassle to remove the front wheel, and a Rockymounts fork mount for anyone else who wants to come along because I wanted to save about $30. With that said, I very much prefer my Sportworks upright mount because loading a bike is so quick and easy. With a fork mount, it's not just a matter of removing the front wheel because you have to then put the wheel down, load up the bike and then pick the wheel back up and load it up (in my case, put it in the trunk). Although it doesn't sound like much work, after a hard ride, any extra work can seem pretty taxing.

I think it looks pretty cool too.
 

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top