Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so just a quick update to kick off our season...

Rode my 'big' ridge loop on Monday from Ewok to the top of the ridge and back down through the race course, and discovered only 1 blow-down and maybe 3 very short sections of snow. I'd be surprised if that snow is still there now. THANK YOU to everyone who has been working on it, looking super!

Mr warmonkey will hopefully be breaking ground soon on a total re-route of the old Roslyn race course climb, a badly needed improvement not just in terms of grade but also maintenance... the mud and water ruts in there just sucked up a lot of time and effort and really didn't deliver much beyond potential cadiac arrest. Plans for the new trail include- *gasp*- multiple rolling switchbacks! :thumbsup: Hopefully we'll find plenty of jr monkeys ready to step up if/when he makes the call for help.

Reports from Rat Pac indicate upper RP needs some saw-loving pretty badly, but on the main route the dirt should be drying out and ready to roll.

Teanaway is looking clear from the top, although I haven't been out on the ground myself yet (maybe this coming weekend?). River ridge trail has been logged out and pretty well munged up, will be interesting to see what Borneo has up his sleeve for this year's May in the 'way routing.
Nature Vegetation Mountainous landforms Natural environment Mountain range

Outside upper county proper but still worth mentioning: Joe Watt is opening this week on May 1st, stay tuned for report from Borneo et al (and hopefully me too if I can escape domestic duties long enough).

TICKS ARE OUT IN FORCE. Wear your Preventic collars, Biospot your neck, and be sure to include the always romantic post-outing-check with your SO. :p

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you look at the map on the DNR site you can see where privately held land breaks up the TCF along the river. A couple pieces belong to a guy from Port Townsend. I won't be around Sunday or I'd meet you over there. But take a look, take some pics, let me know what you're thinking. I'd be happy to help getting that rerouted, it's always been my favorite long loop from here.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Okay. I know about the chunk with the cool cabin I wanted the BBTC to "buy" when it was for sale back in the day. But, that's East of the run down to the river crossing and the old sheep herder's cabin. Then, the checkerboard down on the west end at the blue bus on Dingbat creek. Will get pics. Hope it's not too bad. Opened a bunch last summer and will simply use the skidder where they went straight down the trail...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Firsthand report, RP awesome (watch out for the tire grabber gaps in the goofy log bridges), Roslyn Ridge awesome as well. Very basic maintenance done everywhere but keep your eyes open for spots with lots of pine needles and/or ball-bearing pinecones. Also keep an eye out for trail crews, repairs and new trail building start next week

·
Registered
559 Posts
Watt was riding pretty well last night, better than I recall from previous opening days. The vegetation hasn't grown as much as I expected--my shins were happy about that! Lower Rattlesnake Canyon needs some TLC--too much sheetflow and gully erosion over the winter. There are a couple of blowdowns one is really big at the start of Winegars North--I was able to move a few others. I'd like to resurrect Winegars South this spring--I don't think it'll be too tough.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Noticed that blowdown at the bottom on Saturday too. Ridge trail is rolling great. Didn't go down into Rattlesnake this year but looped up the road from the line cabin and cut across and back down into Rattlesnake from the top.

Warmonkey, RRT is ridable.... Follow the ribbons.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
It's right at the base of Winegars. It's going to take a power saw (or all your patience). i'm booked tonight, but if you want to go tomorrow let me know.
May as well get the little one right before it for the strava kids. Would like to see more riding the ridge trail up to the right as you ride up "Loch Lorean" as Meg calls it. (North Wineger) When you get to the top and veer right to the hunting camp, go right on the old skidder (2nd one) and you will see the trail climbing to the ridge top. Drops out at the top of the climb if you went right (west) where the tree is blocking and makes a nice loop.

·
Registered
333 Posts
May as well get the little one right before it for the strava kids. Would like to see more riding the ridge trail up to the right as you ride up "Loch Lorean" as Meg calls it. (North Wineger) When you get to the top and veer right to the hunting camp, go right on the old skidder (2nd one) and you will see the trail climbing to the ridge top. Drops out at the top of the climb if you went right (west) where the tree is blocking and makes a nice loop.
Any good maps for Joe Watt yet?

Whenever I've been out there and tried to follow a route described by others I seem to get redirected by the many tracks and traces. It's a great place to be in adventure mode with no agenda, but I feel like I might be missing out on some of the best stuff.

Gary

·
Registered
559 Posts
GPSSER, can you post the kml from our ride the other day for him? That's a good start. I'll dig up a few more files for you.

The Horse Event is May 17-18, so avoid Watt that weekend (they were kind and avoided Watt for the bike race last year). if you were targeting that weekend, join the May in the Way ride instead.

Any good maps for Joe Watt yet?

Whenever I've been out there and tried to follow a route described by others I seem to get redirected by the many tracks and traces. It's a great place to be in adventure mode with no agenda, but I feel like I might be missing out on some of the best stuff.

Gary

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.