Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am curious about this also, I am down here in lansdale not to far from perkasie. what type of riding is ralph stover? I am looking for some good mountain biking through the woods with some challenge to the ride.

·
Thumbs Up!
759 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
SmokinAce said:
I am curious about this also, I am down here in lansdale not to far from perkasie. what type of riding is ralph stover? I am looking for some good mountain biking through the woods with some challenge to the ride.
Ralph Stover is around a 5 mile loop (I think) with some technical/rocky sections.

I'm in Lansdale too and ride the Wissahickon much more than Ralph Stover. It's only 20-25 minutes away and has much more trail.

·
Tough Guy Extraordinaire
601 Posts
I also live in the Lansdale area. The wiss is the way to go! I think it blows Stover and green lane away! Check them all out and see what you think, but I bet you find the wiss is the best!

·
Registered
138 Posts
SmokinAce said:
Where should I start out on the Wiss?
There are quite a few options really... check out this thread at phillymtb.org:

http://www.phillymtb.org/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=4&jfile=index.php&topic=1369.0

From the Lansdale area, I'd park at Northwestern Ave and head to Forbidden Drive, then pick a trail that looks good. The first trailhead you'll come to, heading towards Valley Green Inn, would be the Monster right after Bell's Mill Rd. For an introduction to the park, that might not be the best unless you're into brutal climbs right off the bat and that section can be confusing until you know it. I might ride past Valley Green Inn and then take the second trailhead you come to (not the one right by the Inn). Head up the cinder path then make a left onto the first trail you come to, then ride on. That's just my opinion, of course.

Also, the PMBA linked to above has organized rides weekly, and you'd quickly get to know the park.

Oh, and a permit is necessary for what they consider the "upper trails", which pretty much just means anything besides Forbidden Drive. http://www.fairmountpark.org/trailsintro.asp

I'm not advocating NOT getting a permit (especially if you start riding there regularly), but I will say I haven't seen anyone checking since the first ranger surge early this summer.

Good luck! It's a great place to ride.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Try the Lehigh Valley, which is probably 35-40 minutes North of Perkasie. There is Sals, and a place or two to ride on South Mountain. All of them are rocky and technical of intermediate + to advanced difficulty and have a fair amount of climbing. 309 North takes you right over South mountain and gets pretty close to Sals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts