Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to get some extra padding for my kids, specifically to help with chest and back. They are 7 and 10 years old.
This is not for DH / Park, but aggressive trail riding (we are in vancouver/north shore).

I have looked at:

7idp Flex Youth Body Protector
Fox Raceframe LC Roost Deflector Chest Armour (overkill? to park oriented?)
IXS trigger, hack or flow UPPER BODY PROTECTIVE
EVOC Kids protector vest
Leatt Junior Body Protector 3DF AirFit Lite

Any other ideas or suggestions? Tbh I have not seen a lot of kids wearing this amount of extra padding. Usually it is just FF mask, knee/elbow.

· Registered
2,175 Posts
I see a lot of kids (my own as well) rocking the Troy lee protective shirt. Its pretty robust actually. Only downside is getting out of the dang thing off.

The Leatt Airfit they make is pretty nice and actually covers the good spots with rated protection. I've tried one on personally and the fit was nice. Only downside is they are fairly warm. Maybe not an issue where you are. Not super bulky but definitely more bulky than the TLD stuff.

Riding style is a different thing for everyone but damn the Shore Stuff is gnarly out there. Sure there isn't the speed of a smooth bike park but the sends out there can be heinous and technical. My kids (especially my old 9yro boy) ride with the freeride team and always, always have a protective jacket. There is some really well built big stuff here that my older boy rides, some big 7.5ft ramp and 25ft-45ft jump lines (well done) and then also some other stuff where its wood landings that are pass or fail....and the fail looks nasty. I wouldn't hesitate to get a jacket and perhaps even neck brace him. A fair amount of the wild kids here are riding with a neck brace (Leatt that's not very obtrusive). We had an older guy die on some fairly small send a couple of weeks ago. He was super proficient rider...but fell and sheered his spine off around the neck. No clue if a neck brace would have helped him but it certainly makes me wonder about my own kids and what's appropriate. So I dunno. What I normally do is buy 4 different things and just send back the ones that don't work. Amazon's free returns helps a LOT with this. Let me know what ends up working well for you.

For the younger guy (assuming not sending HUGE stuff yet), the IXS jacket is pretty sweet and fits younger kids. The TLD only fits bigger kids as they don't have a small size. My youngest wears the Dianiese Scarabo red jacket. He's very easy to find in the trees lol. Its not bad but is warm and the back plate is a bit bulkier than needed I think. It also comes up high on the belly area so he has to wear a shirt underneath. He's taken a zillion hard hits in it and the shoulder and elbow pads are freaking sweet with great coverage. The chest and rib armor is ok too, better than the IXS. I think the ideal jacket would be something like the IXS but with better chest protection and larger elbow pads. The Airfit I worry, is too bulky for every day use. You can see it on a kid: HERE

This local drop isn't ultra big but damn, if you don't clear the 15ft gap and hangup your rear wheel...that's a bad day and its a faster takeoff than some. I think the Shore has a lot of this iirc.
Plant Wood Natural landscape People in nature Vegetation

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Plant

· Destroyer of Worlds
476 Posts
+1 for the Troy Lee upper. Their armoured undershorts are pretty good too, very low profile.

Regarding the upper, I've found it a lot easier to remove if I slip the chest completely off over my head before trying to pull off the sleeves.

I also have a Bionic Action Jacket that's pretty good, and I like the zipper better than the weird Leatt cross-zipper.

· Registered
2,175 Posts
Good point on the shorts. My oldest also wears a light weight nike football girdle (I think thats what its called). It covers his tail bone and his hip bones. I'm convinced that the tail bone protection 100% saved us from an ER visit on an overshoot where he stacked up on his bike. Cried for a long time about his butt but rode out fine after 20mins or so. Definitely not too bulky to wear frequently.

+1 for the Troy Lee upper. Their armoured undershorts are pretty good too, very low profile.

Regarding the upper, I've found it a lot easier to remove if I slip the chest completely off over my head before trying to pull off the sleeves.

I also have a Bionic Action Jacket that's pretty good, and I like the zipper better than the weird Leatt cross-zipper.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the detailed responses so far! My kids are still pretty novice and so we are not doing any crazy sends yet. Blue (and easy Black) trails on North Shore are still pretty treacherous in terms of slippery roots/rocks and drops; especially if we are going to ride through the rainy YVR winter. This past summer my eldest broke his arm falling off a skinny and younger one came close to breaking ribs off a drop that he went otb. The standard gear is helping them but my wife is not too happy when I bring home the kids with injuries of any kind ;) Some extra back and torso padding will certainly help and now I am thinking about those padded TLD shorts too (like the football girdle). I think if we start going to more parks we will definitely need the Leatt neck brace.

· Registered
782 Posts
I have a youth medium TLD Shock Doctor shirt my son grew out of. Thankfully, he didn't crash much while wearing it and it's in excellent shape. If you're interested PM your email and I can send you some pics.

· Registered
2,175 Posts
These are interesting options too. One thing that most/all of these protectors lack, is anything that has certified chest protection. Potentially that's not a huge deal breaker, but if they are about the same weight/heat retention...rated chest protection would be good to have for big sends. I think anything that could help with a catastrophic chest impact, that's not super hot/heavy/bulky could be a good thing. Alpine stars does have two decent looking zip-on jackets that have rated chest protection. I've not used them so I can speak to the quality or heat retention but I like seeing the ratings all around and they don't look too bulky like the Leatt Airfit is.

This could be a good option:

This looks to be pretty great too with level 2 protection. Likely more for sending huge stuff (I've seen the pro freeriders going with hard shell chest/back protection) as well as park riding when not wanting a full Fox Titan turtle suit. In the pics it looks like it fits a kid pretty flush. EDIT: looks like the chest plate isn't certified for any impact protection, just a stone shield rating which is tested against small objects at a high velocity rather than reducing force transferred.

· Registered
189 Posts
Recently we bought a Fox Youth R3 roost guard that's lightweight and very breathable for enduro rides on the North Shore. My 47" tall 8 yo kid just barely fits it, and it fits well on my 56" tall 10yo but looks like it's starting to be a bit small if he grows much more. Worth checking that out. While it's stated as neckbrace compatible, it doesn't work well with our Atlas Tyke. My older uses a TLD7850 + Atlas Tyke in the Whistler Bike Park.
White Sleeve Grey Font Drinkware

· Registered
312 Posts
Recently we bought a Fox Youth R3 roost guard that's lightweight and very breathable for enduro rides on the North Shore. My 47" tall 8 yo kid just barely fits it, and it fits well on my 56" tall 10yo but looks like it's starting to be a bit small if he grows much more. Worth checking that out. While it's stated as neckbrace compatible, it doesn't work well with our Atlas Tyke. My older uses a TLD7850 + Atlas Tyke in the Whistler Bike Park.
View attachment 1950531
Have you tried the atlas defender jr with the atlas tyke? Thats what my son started wearing recently and it seems to fit. He's a 48" skinny 8yo (53lb). I have it on all the shortest settings and seems to fit ok and he's able to wear it all day with the tyke and doesnt complain about it.

· Registered
2,175 Posts
The fusion is pretty nice. Its 3lbs (neck brace included). Not too bad. You get rated impact reduction too rather than just roost. I'm trying to get something more robust for my 9yro but there isn't a lot out there that isn't super bulky but actually affords some impact reduction on the chest (might as well for the weight) and decent coverage down his spine with some shoulder pads (lot of hits to the shoulder in MTB). Is the fusion too much for freeride trails? We do a lot of shuttling for them usually. Does the spine coverage come down far enough?

Looks really nice and lightweight. Never knew it existed so thanks for mentioning it. In the bike park, my 8yo currently uses a Leatt Fusion 2.0 which offers lots of protection + integrated neck brace; it's heavy tho, but that's not an issue for lift assisted riding.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.