Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took a bunch of pics so i can send em to my folks and show em the mountain biking up here

so far from what i can tell the north rim is real technical, while the south rim is a little smoother, but the south rim is colder and muddier (ice in some places)

anyhows on with the pics

road riding on the way out there on 32

horse trails

omg they put a religious symbol in a STATE PARK! what happened to seperation of church and state?! ... :rolleyes:

north rim trail

the clearing in the dead middle of the pic is where me, norcalchico and his friend parked when we shuttled (omg he said shuttle) yes i said shuttle get over it

·
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
b trail

middle trail

lower bidwell

almost made it all the way across coming toward the camera .... this is gonna be something i attempt everytime i ride from my apt to bidwell unless its fulla water, its suprisingly hardpacked cept for the banks

more lower bidwell pics

the trail the majority of the bay area members of the forum will like

should i complain to the city of chico that the bike lane isnt clear here?

·
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea im down to ride for sure.

Orientation is over at like 12:30 so hit me up around 1:30ish and i should be ready to roll by 2 or so ....

today i rode lower bidwell across
to the horse trails by 5 mile road
up north rim
down b trail
down middle trail for a while
then lower trail for a while more
then back to the horse trails
to lower bidwell

Yesterday was a lot longer ride cause i wasnt quite sure how to get to the north rim from my house

so i rode lower bidwell to where we came out at the south rim
across some bridge
across the GOLF COURSE
then finally found the parking lot by the lake
up some connector trail to north rim
rode north rim ALL THE WAY TO THE POINT
came back
by then i was out of water and a little too tired to try mid trail, so i rode the road to lower
road OUT OF THE PARK ON THE ROAD and tried to follow the first creek and ended up in someones backyard with no trail
then went out thru lower bidwell

so that was a bit longer ride but its good to get lost once in a while

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Hey, Melt, do you ever ride green gate? My wife is also from Chico and she says she used to ride that trail all the time and wants to take me there. Is it any good?

·
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i JUST moved here a week ago ... is green gate the trail that leads to south rim and starts up on 32? If so me, norcalchico, and his buddy chad shuttled it on tuesday

·
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea im attending chico state ... only took me 4 yrs of community college to get here lol but hopefully ill finish it up in 2.

The ride isnt that far cause i live on the east side of 99 near the mall ... so like 3 miles from my house to where north rim starts, and you can ride 2 miles of that on horse trials so its sweet.

I wanted to live downtown but i kept callin people down there and the apts would fill up mad fast, so whatever my rents REALLY cheap over here and i can ride all i want ... all livin here means is i gotta leave to go drinkin downtown an hour early so i can walk, but that means more excersize to burn off the beer gut so thats cool too!

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Melt said:
i JUST moved here a week ago ... is green gate the trail that leads to south rim and starts up on 32? If so me, norcalchico, and his buddy chad shuttled it on tuesday
I'm not sure where the trail is - it's in upper park I think. I'll try to get better info from her about where it is :).

And you live in a sweet spot. When I used to live there I would ride down to Sports Ltd. all the time (in its original location on Main just down from The Underground) and hang out, then ride all the small trails between 1 and 5 mile. Used to have a lot of fun out there - it's amazing to see how much that city has grown.

·
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea sports ltd is now by safeway on mangrove, i gotta stop in there if anything breaks ... either there or theres also some shop in oroville i hear is good ... some guy named "dax" owns it .... ive heard good things both from someone here in chico and from my shop i used to go to back in napa.

and yes the city is huge. I remember road trips to visit a friend of mine in paradise and out on skyway was NOTHING and now its blown up even over there and they are STILL building .... theres a kohls by my house that just opened and next to it it looks like they are building something else

also theres a lot of new houses and developments on 32

·
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
i just had this bike built a couple months ago, i got it off ebay at the beginning of november and am pretty sure i was riding it by the end of november cause i did pine mountain on it.

my 2005 santa cruz blur frame CRACKED right under the bb after only 3 months of riding it (i got it used) and santa cruz wouldnt warranty it because im not the "original owner". I know it cracked under my ownership cause it rode fine in that regard for the first couple of months

whatever the trek is a 2005 fuel ex9 that i got off ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=290045006921

thats BRAND new and i just swapped over everything from the blur except the seatpost cause the trek is a different diamaeter.

it rides REALLY sweet and so far has required MUCH LESS maintence than the blur did which it seemed like something broke on all the time ... it also rides A LOT better. Ill easily buy another one if something happens to this one. No more santa cruzes thats a definite fo sho .... i had a superlight before the blur and something always was broken on that too.

I toyed with selling my 06 giant faith 3 and just buying a santa cruz nomad to replace the blur cause it goes both ways, but am now glad i decided against that. Plus 4 racks is a lot for a college student to drop on ONE bike.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Nice pic's Melt. Looks like you're finding your way around quickly. I might have to hit you up for some ride info in the next couple of months. My nephew is up at Chico State and I'm due for a visit. Since he is of legal drinking age now, I'm taking him and whoever is his favorite buddy out to the SN brewery.

·
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sure thing man only places ive ridden so far is bidwell and oroville state recreation area but im loving it out here and i figure if this is just what ive found in a week theres probably a lot more maybe further up 32 i dont know about.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hey Melt, Great pics. The bike shop in Oroville is Greenline Cycles. I moved to the Chico area about a year ago and the guys at Greenline have been great. Extremely helpful and really know their stuff. They sell SC, Felt, and Rocky Mountain. I might be bias but it's woth the trip to Oroville. Are you guys planning in future rides near the Oroville Dam again?

·
May the Force be with you
1,035 Posts
Green line / Oroville ride

I've know Dax at Green Line for years and he will go out of his way to make you happy.:thumbsup: Very nice and helpful staff thesr guys:rockon: !!!

We(Melt, Lwright, Fattire My buddy Garrett , and Chad) are planning on going for a ride in Oroville on Sunday at about 9am. Check out the Oroville feather fall post.
Come join us:D

We are planning to ride today most likely up north ride here in Chico and maybe ride tomorrow as well:D

·
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
norcalchico said:
I've know Dax at Green Line for years and he will go out of his way to make you happy.:thumbsup: Very nice and helpful staff thesr guys:rockon: !!!

We(Melt, Lwright, Fattire My buddy Garrett , and Chad) are planning on going for a ride in Oroville on Sunday at about 9am. Check out the Oroville feather fall post.
Come join us:D

We are planning to ride today most likely up north ride here in Chico and maybe ride tomorrow as well:D
remember to call me about riding today .... cause i only got the number to pepboys and not your cell haha .... im leaving for orientation right now ... later.

·
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
woot ... chad just called me and we are going around 3 .... ill leave the house at 330 rollin if i dont hear from you guys by then.

·
Registered
645 Posts
yo. Im a chico lurker:) anyone riding bidwell tomorrow (saturday)? If anyone wants to ride send me a pm or post on this thread

Green gate isnt really a trail, its a gate at the beginning of 10 mile road. When people ride "green gate" they usually get dropped off at green gate, ride the rode to pine trail (aka bloody pin trail) then take that to southrim. I like to take pine trail to the guardian, as its my favorite trail in the park.

I saw some people talking about secret trail a while back, I rode secret trail the last time about 2 years ago and it was horribly overgrown and it ended in canyon oaks like someone said.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.