Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having upper back pain between my shoulder blades when I ride. What can I do to stop this from happening? I have tried an adjustable stem, different seat positions with no luck. If anyone has any suggestions please send them my way. Thank you! :confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the same sort of pain after 1 or 2 hours of riding. It has gotten better after a few rides this season. I think its just weak muscles trying to hold up my head, hopefully this will completely go away soon.

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
Check your bar width. It should be about as wide as your shoulders +/- and inch. Too wide and your shoulders are in an inefficient stretch.

Also, do some upper back work, traps, delts, rhomboids. I did some last year and have never looked back.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Dug up this old thread - I have this happen from time to time especially on longer rides (1.5-2hrs)... Upper area of trap (trapezius) muscles mostly...

Is it a function of strengthening that area or is it an indication of improper bar width? I have 685mm (27") bars and love the control and leverage... But would going down to say 660mm (26") help also? I wouldn't want to go much narrower, as I like having more control and leverage for the technical descents.

thnx

·
Registered
66 Posts
Unfortunately, there is no definite answer on this one, at least not through an internet forum. It could be lack of strength in that area of your back. It could be that your bars are too wide, although that's really hard to tell without seeing you. It could also be something as simple as a bar position that is too low. It could be a combination of all three.

The easiest thing to try is to try a slightly shorter/higher rise/or both stem. See if this helps you out. If you're already quite upright or if that doesn't work, the second try would be to cut your bars down a centimeter or two per side. Certainly strengthening your back is a good idea, but of course it will take time for this approach to show any results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.