Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rant 1
Allright one of the rules I've been told is "Uphill riders have right of way". I'd say 70% of the time this is hypocritcal bs, as a pack of 14 riders come down the ST and never even try to stop or share the trail, happens all the time.
I am more than glad to stand off to the side and let people get their downhill on, makes more sense to me. Where did this rule come from? Is it because goaters will be upset if they don't clean the UH? Don't tell me its too hard to start again please.

rant 2
Why do people have to ride up ST if there is FR access? There is a local trail by me and its about 2 feet wide, the people riding up it are making it impossible to have any fun riding down it, once again I am more than happy to ride up the FR to gain access, so that other riders can get their DH on and have fun, makes sense to me, and seems more considerate, flame away....
 

·
Praise Bob
Joined
·
490 Posts
On rant 1... realistically it is a judgement call. I know that when I am climbing I cant look far enough up the trail to dismount in time to be surprised by downhillers. It all really comes down to who sees who first and what kind of terrain it is. There is nothing worse than trying to crawl up a step up and trying to dismount only to stay clipped in and falling backwards. If, on the other hand, the terrain is smooth I will dismount and get out of the way.

Rant 2... yeah...seriously. if there is FR access you would think the uphillers would chose that and then bomb back down the ST. Go figure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
906 Posts
1) It is alot harder to get started again going uphill; in many cases it might not be possible to start again without walking to the next flat section.

2) Many riders (myself included) enjoy riding uphill on single track. Fire roads are dull.

As someone who likes riding uphill, I wouldn't ask you to ride down on the FR so I could ride up the ST unimpeded. It's asinine to expect everyone to conform to your style of riding. If the trails are too crowed for you, go at a different time of day, or go somewhere less popular. Otherwise learn to share the ST with other users.
 

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
Joined
·
8,847 Posts
As some one who likes to ride UP and DOWN, it's a hell of a lot more fun riding up a trail than grinding my way up some boring ass fire road. There a lot of places where there is no "fire road" option, and you have to ride up trail to get to the goods anyhow. At least, that has been true nearly every place I've ever ridden.

Oh yeah: you're an idiot.

edited for: oops.
 

·
Keep The Rubber Side Down
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
Frs already said what I was going to say. it is allot harder to get started again when going up hill, especially on a single track, than it is to get going again on a the DH. Granted, as a Clydesdale, I much rather be going down than up; but I have to be aware of riders coming up. It's just good Kharma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
OK so what if the UH guy doesn't call out "rider up" I had a guy yesterday nearly get creamed by me cause he was wearing an ipod and I called out "rider" heard nothing and started down when around the bend come this other guys. And he was pissed at me for not letting him by. Mind you this section of the trail has two drops the first climb is completely blind.
 

·
wanna dance?
Joined
·
1,074 Posts
It's because it's a lot easier on your spine, coming down singletrack and yeilding to uphill traffic than getting knocked off your bike into a tree at speed by a pissed off goater. I've done it before, and I'll do it again.


For your sake, may our paths never cross.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
685 Posts
bullit44777 said:
rant 1
Allright one of the rules I've been told is "Uphill riders have right of way". I'd say 70% of the time this is hypocritcal bs, as a pack of 14 riders come down the ST and never even try to stop or share the trail, happens all the time.
I am more than glad to stand off to the side and let people get their downhill on, makes more sense to me. Where did this rule come from? Is it because goaters will be upset if they don't clean the UH? Don't tell me its too hard to start again please.

rant 2
Why do people have to ride up ST if there is FR access? There is a local trail by me and its about 2 feet wide, the people riding up it are making it impossible to have any fun riding down it, once again I am more than happy to ride up the FR to gain access, so that other riders can get their DH on and have fun, makes sense to me, and seems more considerate, flame away....
I sort of agree with rant 1, but it's that way because uphill riders are slower. Downhill riders are going faster nearly 100% of the time, so the rider going downhill being on the side and being brushed by a climber is nothing compared to being knocked down by the downhill rider.

Rant 2 is void because FR are boring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
hanjin said:
OK so what if the UH guy doesn't call out "rider up" I had a guy yesterday nearly get creamed by me cause he was wearing an ipod and I called out "rider" heard nothing and started down when around the bend come this other guys. And he was pissed at me for not letting him by. Mind you this section of the trail has two drops the first climb is completely blind.
You called out and made your best effort to alert other riders on the trail, dumb ass can't hear cause he has his Ipod on, his problem not yours. You did the right thing, he is in the wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
If you don't like the rules go to the land management meetings and lobby to get one way signs put on the trails.

In the mean time your just being selfish, someone is ruining your fun so the rules should be changed!!! The rules are in place for the reasons mentioned in the other posts.

Besides I have just as much fun climbing :p
 

·
the train keeps rollin
Joined
·
3,214 Posts
rant 1, deal with it.. use common sense, yielding to a uphiller is not set in stone.

rant 2, some people will always ride trails the wrong way, they live in their own little world, and could careless about busting the natural trail flow. That being said, there's a lot of good ST climbs out there, some of us find interest in cleaning these types of uphills, and may give them a go now and then.
 

·
blet drive
Joined
·
2,178 Posts
rant 2 is dumb and fire roads suck .. we have to many of them from people not stoping and making the trail just like a fire road.. so all and all rant 2 sucks
 

·
Self proclaimed idiot
Joined
·
74 Posts
HotBlack said:
It's because it's a lot easier on your spine, coming down singletrack and yeilding to uphill traffic than getting knocked off your bike into a tree at speed by a pissed off goater. I've done it before, and I'll do it again.


For your sake, may our paths never cross.
I have also lowered a shoulder to a downhiller bombing down a narrow ST that I was goating up, would not have done it had he at least warned me he was coming, I could not see over the crest of the hill and next thing I knew he was coming right at me blindly, expecting him to stop or at least slow, I held my ground and continued peddling, he did neither, so pulled over as much as I could, and leaned his direction some to keep from getting the brunt of the collision, knocked us both down, but him going much faster got the most of it, he swore at "the stupid climber" and clamored back onto his bike rather than coming at me like I expected.

I ALWAYS yield to the UH, no sense in not yielding to them, next time you see them on the trail and they are coming down, you are going up, you will appreciate it when they stop for you and bid you good day on your way past them. Etiquette is something that you should always practice on the trail, not only is it the polite thing to do, but it is generally the safest thing to do. had I not been paying attention he would have slammed head on into me, likely damaging both of our bikes, and hurting both of us... so your "me first" attitude only goes so far, if everyone thought the same way as you, the trails would be a much more dangerous place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,903 Posts
this "cant start going back uphill" stuff is crap.

its a safety thing. if you told downhill riders they have the right of way, they'd be killing people when they fly downhill thinking they have the right to blow people off the trail. saying uphill riders have the right of way means downhill riders must use caution and control their speed. the faster/more dangerous rider (going downhill) is responsible for keeping both directions out of high speed accidents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wow you completely don't get it. I was asking if thats the rule, how come so many people DON'T abide by it? The same people who say uphill rider has right of way, will not stop at all on the downhill, thats what I said. I questioned why there is that rule, somebody mentioned being clipped, thats a good point! I never said what I think of the rule, or what I do on the downhill.
As far as being selfish, hey everybody does what they like, its fun, no problems there, up, down, whatever, I was just talking about one trail in particular, I think FR are boring too, but I figure on this particular trail I'm keeping it opened up so people can have fun riding down it, how does that make me selfish? I thought for some reason the whole point of getting to the top is to have fun on the way down, but I'm an idiot....
Finally some guy riding downhill yells out and if the uphill guy is wearing earphones and doesn't hear its his fault, what?







space said:
If you don't like the rules go to the land management meetings and lobby to get one way signs put on the trails.

In the mean time your just being selfish, someone is ruining your fun so the rules should be changed!!! The rules are in place for the reasons mentioned in the other posts.

Besides I have just as much fun climbing :p
 

·
Self proclaimed idiot
Joined
·
74 Posts
bullit44777 said:
Finally some guy riding downhill yells out and if the uphill guy is wearing earphones and doesn't hear its his fault, what?
Wearing earphones on the trail especially on single track is reckless, a rider should always be audibly alert of his surroundings, again with proper ettiquette, "Rider up" "Rider Down" "passing left" and other general warnings cannot be heard well with earphones in, I do not mind people listening to music while riding, keep one earphone in your right ear only(people generally pass on the left and it is more common to have to hear out of your left obviously)... then you can hear out of your left, you are still alert of your surroundings, and noone gets hurt. But if he is riding about with both phones in, and his music cranked up, he cannot hear a damn thing, and is then just in his own little world, and a danger to others on the trail. So yes, his fault.
 
1 - 20 of 129 Posts
Top