Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Trec 4500 2004 and the back wheel is warped after breaking a spoke. I’m looking at XT wheelset, Mavic 717 or DP Swiss, for about $220.

The question is should I go with the Avid BB7 disk brakes? The rim brakes work fine but are a pain to keep adjusted. I watched a YouTube video on the the BB7 and seemed like something I could manage.

Or will I notice a weight difference going with the disk brakes? I’m thinking the weight is way down around the hubs so it won’t be noticeable.

Thanks for any advice!

(Edited for clarity)

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
You likely won't....

notice the additional weight of the brakes, and you likely won't notice the additional weight of the hubs and rotors. You will notice that the wheel will "feel" lighter when riding. The reason being is either the DT or Mavic hoops that you are considering are lighter than the stock Bontrager rims that the stock wheel set is built with. Go for it, even if you do feel a slight increase in rotational weight, the increased braking performace of the BB7's will be worth it.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
155 Posts
On a Trek 4500 the weight difference wont be that noticeable as um ... it's not what the weight weenies would call a light bike. You're going from a lower end OEM wheel to a higher end wheel which will be lighter anyway so I'd say make the move to disc. They're much better in the wet and you'll be wearing down an easily replaceable disc rotor rather than your new expensive rim. BB7's are the cable disc brake benchmark and you'll notice the performance jump from V-brakes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.