Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kona hardtail that I would like to put a longer travel fork on to make it more of a do-everything bike. I have been looking at last years Z1s. How (and how much) will the handling change with the addition of 30 more mm of travel? If it would be a significant change, is setting the fork up with a lot of sag a good solution?

Thanks

·
Registered
981 Posts
If you set up the fork with a lot of sag to reduce the height, then you are losing out on the travel that you bought the fork for in the first place.

The Z1 is one of the more taller 130mm travel forks, if not the tallest.

How much it changes your handling depends on the original fork Kona had in mind for that frame. If it was meant for an 80mm fork and you put a 130 on it, then it will definitely be noticeable. But going from 100 to 130mm may not be bad.

Also keep in mind the original riding style your frame was designed for. If it's a XC bike and you mount a Z1 on it and do drops and such, the front headtube junction may not be able to handle your new drops and may crack.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.