Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I've been riding an '03 Specialized Hardrock Comp for a year and a half now. I figure its about time for me to upgrade to a dual suspension bike, I've just had enough of getting beat up on the trail. What I want is a competent, good all-mountain bike; a trailbike, in other words, something with no less than 4 inches of travel in both ends and no more than 6 inches that can still climb like a maniac and downhill just as well. At the moment I'm looking at one of the Specialized Enduro line, and have a bike shop willing to sell me one of their used demo bikes toward the end of the year. Someone at another shop scoffed at this and told me to get the Santa Cruz Blur, hands-down. I'm 5'6" and 130 lbs. I'm also only 15 (one of the only teenagers in Alabama that bikes, I believe), so my budget is below $2,000, if that much. Thanks for the help.

Aron

· Registered
378 Posts
I'm almost the same size

hardrockmtn said:
Hey there, I've been riding an '03 Specialized Hardrock Comp for a year and a half now. I figure its about time for me to upgrade to a dual suspension bike, I've just had enough of getting beat up on the trail. What I want is a competent, good all-mountain bike; a trailbike, in other words, something with no less than 4 inches of travel in both ends and no more than 6 inches that can still climb like a maniac and downhill just as well. At the moment I'm looking at one of the Specialized Enduro line, and have a bike shop willing to sell me one of their used demo bikes toward the end of the year. Someone at another shop scoffed at this and told me to get the Santa Cruz Blur, hands-down. I'm 5'6" and 130 lbs. I'm also only 15 (one of the only teenagers in Alabama that bikes, I believe), so my budget is below $2,000, if that much. Thanks for the help.

Aron
as you and would strongly suggest a Banshee Chaparral in a small if you like to do alot of jumps and a medium if you like to do more XC. That's what I ride and love it. Either size will climb extremely well.

Duc

· Registered
695 Posts
If you are not riding extremely aggressive terrain the Banshee Chaparral is way more bike than you need. That frame weighs 11 pds. Tale a good hard look at the Heckler. Also if you are really constricted on dough take a look at the Giant Vt series.

· Uhhhhh...
2,889 Posts
hardrockmtn said:

Aron
Ok,

I'm 2 days past 16 so were reletively the same age. Your gunna wanna go FAST the better you get and your also going to wanna race. You might say you won't, but you will. So go take a good look at a Specializer Stumpjumper or a Blur if you can find one in the price.

-TS

· Registered
668 Posts
hardrockmtn said:

Aron
The Specialized is probably the way to go. You'd be hard pressed to get a Blur for under $2k built up (frame alone is 1300$). The Enduro uses a Horst link suspension, and is very efficient and active. Specialized bikes are a good value, and they have an excellent warranty. You may also check out the 04 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR (4" travel). The Giant VT, Fisher Cake, Trek Liquid, and Jamis Dakar XLT lines would also be worth a test ride or two. All of the major builders will be able to get a better parts spec for a lower price because they deal in such volume. All of these bikes will make you smile...

A Heckler would be great as well - but tough to build under 2k. Either Santa Cruz might be worth saving for - but at 15, I would have never been able to get together that much scratch on relatively short notice...

Take plenty of test rides, and good luck...

· mtbr "member"
719 Posts
if you don't mind a frame set try this..

I posted it in the best deals section but bobs-bicycles.com is selling Haro XCS frames which are built by and are identical to Intense tracer frames with 4 inch travel. This is a super frame and $699 you could probably build it up nicely.

If you've never built up a frame, it's actually not very difficult. You could even buy a bike spec'd with some decent parts and "canabalize" it for the parts. You still might be able to get it under$2000 and not really need to upgrade your frame for a very long time.

Just food for thought.

REEK

· Registered
21 Posts
Yeti 575

I just bought my 16 yr. old a Yeti 575. With this bike he can ride XC with me and do the more aggressive stuff with his friends. It has the same geometry as the Yeti ARC (their XC racer) but with more travel - 5.75". Adrenaline Bikes has the 575 with XT-Hayes kit for $1799. Good Luck!

· Registered
668 Posts
true_grit said:
I just bought my 16 yr. old a Yeti 575. With this bike he can ride XC with me and do the more aggressive stuff with his friends. It has the same geometry as the Yeti ARC (their XC racer) but with more travel - 5.75". Adrenaline Bikes has the 575 with XT-Hayes kit for $1799. Good Luck!
That's a great suggestion - the 575 is a killer bike...

· Registered
378 Posts
artsn said:
If you are not riding extremely aggressive terrain the Banshee Chaparral is way more bike than you need. That frame weighs 11 pds. Tale a good hard look at the Heckler. Also if you are really constricted on dough take a look at the Giant Vt series.
I don't think the Chaparral is too much for him if he's considering the Enduro. The frame is actually "only" 9.5 lbs. for a medium (which is still a bit on the heavy side), but like I said, it rides like a much lighter bike than it's actual weight and he won't have to worry about breaking it. Just my $0.02

Duc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.