Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a silly question but here goes:

I want to change my stem length and upgrade to a carbon stem at the same time. Can I swap out my aluminum stem and aluminum spacers for a carbon stem and carbon spacers without issue?

Does it matter if my fork has a carbon or aluminum steerer? I just want to make sure there are no issues before I drop the bucks.

Thanks!

·
AKA Dr.Nob
887 Posts
MisterC said:
Can I swap out my aluminum stem and aluminum spacers for a carbon stem and carbon spacers without issue?

Absolutely

Does it matter if my fork has a carbon or aluminum steerer? I just want to make sure there are no issues before I drop the bucks.
Nope and I should point out that mtb forks with carbon steerers are rare.

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
90mm was too long and I had a 50mm FR stem sitting around that was too short. I think 70 or 80mm with a little bit of rise will be perfect.

Maybe I will just get a thomson.

Thanks for the help!

·
Seeeriously easy Livin
1,863 Posts
I hope you realize nearly every carbon stem on the market is actually aluminum wraped in carbon to make it look pretty, and they are often heavier than their aluminum counterparts. Ecceptions I can think of are bontrager xxx lite, which is actually pretty heavy, and maybe some control tech stems. Thompson sounds like a good idea.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
MisterC said:
Can I swap out my aluminum stem and aluminum spacers for a carbon stem and carbon spacers without issue?
before you upgrade you should really consider how carbon spacers will affect your ride. It's true that they're more compliant and damp a little bit, but when you crash and hit your spacers you could damage them. Unlike alu spacers, which visibly crack, damage may not show in the surface of carbon spacers, and the spacer could later catastrophically fail, making a headset that is very difficult to adjust. It's important to buy carbon spacers from a reputable manufacturer that will unquestioningly warranty your spacers should that happen, even when they look like they've been abused. Also remember that not all carbon spacers are the same; normal 3k weave spacers provide a very compliant ride, and shave almost a gram off their aluminum counterparts, but low end spacers can actually add weight and harshness, and if you buy narrower spacers you end up needing more of them to get the same amount of rise. The last thing to think about is the cost, around here carbon spacers can cost upwards of 1$ each, is the carbon going to give you a performance advantage that will offset that expense?

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The XXX lite is the stem I am getting and it comes with a spacer kit and topcap. edit: Paying for more spacers etc. is something I am willing to put up with for now but I can always switch back to aluminum. Is using a carbon stem with aluminum spacers a no-no?

I handled one in a nearby bike shop and it is certainly lighter than the stem I am using now although I think they could lighten it up if they lost some of the bling on the face plate.

Am probably going to match it up with the xxx lite riser but am also considering the Easton Monkey Lite. Thoughts?

Thanks for all the input guys, it really helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.