Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife and I are just getting started and I got her a trek skye to start with (figured I would cheap out in case she didnt like it). But the bike is incredibly heavy (even compared to my 3900 disc). So I am trying to think of some nice upgrades I could do that would help lighten the load a bit and maybe make it a more enjoyable bike.

The bike came with grip shifts and rim brakes, so Ive thought about upgrading the brakes and shifters as well as the front and rear derailleurs and maybe a new handlebar to go along with this but not sure if thats the best way to start.

So where should I start?

·
Registered
411 Posts
If you are looking to shave weight the first places to look are the cranks, wheels, and fork. Unfortunately the 3 most expensive items.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
jlchauncey said:
oh shes riding, we both are about 3 to 4 times a week.
That's all that matters!

Hold off on the upgrades and wait till the spring. See if she's got that winter itch to get back out. If she does, it would be money-better-spent on a newer, lighter model. For the amount you'll put into it, you can just buy a Trek 6000w. Avid bb5's, RS Dart, x5 der, and one of the most important things is that the wheels are already set up for discs.

The nice thing about womens bikes is the rarely lose value cause women don't generally abuse stuff like we do. So your resale on the bike can be close to what you paid for it. Maybe get her to tell friends how awesome riding is and let a friend try hers. You just found a buyer! Cause even though womens bikes retain their value, it's sometimes hard to find that buyer.

Ttyl, Fahn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts