Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I am a beginner rider, just bought a Giant Revel 3. I am too advanced for the bike already but dont have the $ or talent for anything in the $1500 + range quite yet. I would like to upgrade to disc brakes, and wheels of course to fit. Also a new fork, 120mm preferably. Any suggestions? I am trying to stay within a 400-500 budget. Thanks!

Here are my bike specs:
Large
FrameALUXX-Grade Aluminum
ForkSR Suntour XCT V4, 100mm Travel
Shock N/A

<tbody>
</tbody>
Components
HandlebarHigh Tensile Steel, Mid-Rise, 25.4
StemGiant Sport
SeatpostGiant Sport, 30.9
SaddleGiant Sport Trail
PedalsNylon Platform

<tbody>
</tbody>
Drivetrain
ShiftersSRAM X3, 3x7 Speed
Front DerailleurShimano M191
Rear DerailleurSRAM X3
BrakesAlloy Linear Pull
Brake LeversTektro, 2-Finger
CassetteShimano TZ31 14x34, 7-Speed
ChainKMC Z51
CranksetSR Suntour NEX w/Chainguard, 24/34/42
Bottom BracketSuntour, Sealed Cartridge

<tbody>
</tbody>
Wheels
RimsGiant Alloy, Double Wall
HubsAlloy, 32h
SpokesStainless Steel, 14g
TiresGiant Sport, 26x2.1

<tbody>
</tbody>

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,423 Posts
Don't do it. Continue to ride the bike until you save enough to upgrade to a new ride. Put the $500 you plan to use for upgrades into the "new bike fund"...

For $4-500 for disc brakes, wheels, and a fork the *best* you can hope for are a bunch of mediocre components.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,423 Posts
Recon won't fit (1.5" steerer) and the Fox will throw your geometry out of whack significantly. Figure in the cost of installation (unless you're going to do all this work yourself?).

Seriously - for $500 it's not worth upgrading a bunch of stuff. It just isn't. Isn't that more than the cost of the bike?

·
Your Best Friend
5,305 Posts
That fox also has a 15mm thru-axle. You'll need a new front hub/wheel rebuild for that one. Save your money and buy a nicer bike.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I started with a revel 1 29er and did the suntour upgrade for the fork. It improve my ride a lot but less than a year later upgraded to a trance 27.5 3. The difference is amazing and I wish I would have just saved my money to begin with. Don't upgrade and save it for something better even if its an older used bike it'll be better than spending money to upgrade your revel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys! True, not worth putting more money into the bike than the bike is worth. I wear out my V-brakes very quickly and really want to get disc brakes. What would be a good bike to get with a budget of 800-900$?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for the help guys! True, not worth putting more money into the bike than the bike is worth. I wear out my V-brakes very quickly and really want to get disc brakes. What would be a good bike to get with a budget of 800-900$?
Talon 3 maybe.

I was at my LBS last night and the manager was telling a girl buying a road bike that Giant's prices are 5-10% lower than the rest of the bike companies.

He said later that the same was true for mtb. Best of luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you can hold out there until the end of the season there are deals to be had on leftover/previous model year bikes. I got my Reign for over 30% off.
You can also check out the buy/sell section on Pinkbike. Lots of bikes for sale there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts