Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to all this but I am going to be upgrading a few parts on my talon 2.

Current stock parts are--

I'm going to upgrade my cassette for sure nothing crazy, was looking at the sram pg850, but also want upgrade my rear derailer to a x7 or x9. Currently have x4 shifters, will they still work?

What else do you guys recommend to upgrade while I'm there?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
DFMBA.org
1,874 Posts
I would upgrade the crankset to XT or X7/9. I had a similar Suntrash crank on another bike and the thing was a boat anchor. If you go this route you'll have to upgrade the cassette and the chain to make the whole system new.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I order the cassette and chain already, I do agree with you, my current cranks feels real heavy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any cranks out there under $100 that are better than my current?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ribble has the SLX cranks for $99. That crank is also a good candidate for a single ring up front for cheap, if you want to go that route.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With a single ring up front I'm guessing I would have to also change the derailer?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Normally if you make the switch to a single ring in front, the front derailleur and front shifter are removed from the bike. Along with the multiple chain rings this results in a weight reduction of up to 2lbs (a lot of low end chain rings are boat anchor steel).

Even if you do not go 1x front, the SLX cranks are available in 2x and 3x versions. They are fantastic cranks and rings for the $. You can always save a 1x conversion for a later project.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm interested in going with one ring in the front, I have never used the big or small ring, always the middle.

So I can just remove the shifter and derailer. It will be fine?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yes. I've converted 2 bikes this way. You do lose a little big of "gear range", but I find it works very well. It's also great for novice riders, they can concentrate on only having to shift ONE SHIFTER (faster this way, slower this way), instead of getting confused with 2 different ones that run opposite directions.

I ride MTB, and simply don't need rings that allow me to pedal going 30+ MPH. If I'm going that fast I'm coasting, or lightly pedaling to keep the chain on.

I REALLY like single rings in the front, but that's a personal thing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the help utahjohn, I'm going to look into this cranks now

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Hold on there a minute. You can't just take off the front derailleur and shifter. If you do that you will probably have the chain falling off of the chainring a lot. At the very minimum, replace the middle chainring with a narrow/wide chainring (RaceFace has some reasonably priced chainrings). That might be enough, but you could still have problems. Most 1x systems either have a clutch rear derailleur or a chain guide in front. If you do try to go 1x, cut the chain shorter than your current length. Most chains have a little instruction book in the packaging that tells you how to determine chain length.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If it's going to cost more or I rather just stay 3x8, I'm getting a new bike next year

·
Registered
626 Posts
Thor is right, it's simple but you don't just take the der off.

I remove the front der and shifter, and the 3 front chain rings. Buy a $40 Race Face Narrow Wide single chain ring. If you like the gearing in your middle ring now, get the same tooth count.

Optimizing the chain length is OPTIONAL. If you don't, it's the same as you riding around in the middle ring now, which isn't hurting anything. But ideally you'd shorten the chain to remove the extra links you no longer need (for the bigger chain ring).

Understand that multi gear chain rings are designed to derail the chain, in order to change gears. Single Rings are designed to HOLD ON to the chain, to keep it on all the time. The Narrow-Wide single rings are cheap and work really well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts