Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Rockhopper. Today while riding, my chain broke. I'm missing teeth on my crankset and on my cassette. It's time to upgrade. However, I am really new to terminologies and knowing what matches with what. The guy at my LBS told me not to go with a BB30 - I don't know why... from what I've read, it seems like the lighter choice. I'm trying to find out what is compatible with my bike. I would like to go with a 2x10 setup, and I am looking at the SRAM XX Crankset to begin with. I love the frame on this bike, so I don't want to just get a whole new bike. I'd like to build one and learn how it all comes together as I do.

So, on to some of my questions. What BB is compatible with this frame, without having to modify much? Why would he say "No BB30"? Any tips, recommendation, or feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to go a little lighter as well as quicker shifter, and stronger components.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
New cranksets come with new bottom brakets. Look up the specs to what you have now and buy the same type...then work your way out from there, matching parts all along the way.
I too like my HTail frame and will being doing the same thing once I wear out my stock stuff/or brake it :)
Good Luck
Post PIcs

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
You'd be crazy but to do the slx at that price. Slx is amazing.
I agree that's why I posted both since some people would try to save the $63 which in my opinion wouldn't be smart.

And after you see the price to go SRAM XX you will change your mind quickly.

I emailed Ribble and asked which bottom bracket it comes with.
Since I'm thinking of grabbing the XT group set for my 2012 Stumpy.
I was already going to Order the brakes anyway.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
you have a "normal" English (bsa) threaded bottom bracket on that bike. You cannot use a bb30.
That's what I was thinking I don't know why his LBS even mentioned it ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the input. I asked a lot of questions from the guy at my LBS and I didn't get a lot of helpful answers, hence why I am on here instead. He did show me a very light two piece BB that he said is better thank the octalink I currently have, but he didn't give me the name of it. So, basically, I need an english threaded BB for my bike?

Have checked the reviews - SLX looks like it's worth the money. Found a Sram XX for 289 - Has incredible reviews, but I'll take your advice (the overkill bit) into consideration, for sure.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
That's just the crank set and it come's with BB30 Bottom bracket or GXP bottom bracket.
I'm not 100% sure but you might be able to use the GXP with an Adaptor ?

The XX cassette is around $400 on top of that then shifter and rear derailleur add's another $450.
If you have $1,100 to drop into a Rock Hopper than I guess you could but I don't think it's worth it IMHO.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
Is the Deore XT worth the extra $120 compared to the SLX? Tons of great reviews on the XT.
From what I've been told the XT is lighter but I wouldn't notice the performance much.
But I haven't tried them so I can't say.
I think you would be fine with the SLX for a Rock Hopper if you up grade your frame later switch these things over to your new bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PauL - Thanks for your input. No, I don't really have $1100 to put into the bike. I'm just tired of things breaking, or gears skipping. I want to get the best for my money, but being realistic. Eventually - and by eventually I mean 1-2 years down the road, I will buy a new bike or frame. But I want to keep this thing going because I really enjoy it.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
The bottom bracket is a SM-BB70 SM-BB71-41A - Is that compatible with the rockhopper?
They are compatible with English threaded bottom brackets with either 68mm or 73mm wide shells.
I'm pretty sure the Shimano Octalink bottom bracket is English threading IIRC.
If I were you just make sure your Rock hopper has English threading and you will be good to go.
I really think you will like the SLX package.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's a Shimano Octalink 73mm. So, it seems to be compatible.

After A LOT of reviewing, I went on yours (and thickfog's) recommendation and I am going with the SLX.

It's nice to have dudes over the Internet that are more help than my salesman at my LBS.

Thanks, guys!

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
Any time that's what this forum is for post pic's when you get er done :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts