Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Got a Prophet 600, which I've upgraded the rear shock to a swinger 3 way. This has improved the ride at rear no end (as you would guess being a better shock)

This in turn though has highlighted that though my Lefty Max 140 FFD is a great fork its a little simple.

So the question is can you upgrade the internals of a lefty to say include the SPV cartridge or is it a full new fork (which is frankly frighteningly exspensive)

cheers for your comments

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Welcome!

You can upgrade to SPV or TPC. Some say TPC is the upgrade though, not SPV. It depends of your riding style. If you prefer butter smooth action TPC could be better for you. If you prefer more efficient pedaling at the expense of a bit of small bump responsiveness, SPV is a good choice. I love my SPV, with the platform very low, it's decently smooth on even the smallest impacts (at the point a 2.3 tire takes care of the rest) and handle everything I throw at it without being bouncy.

·
Registered
465 Posts
nail on the head

dan hit the nail on the head the upgrade depends on what type of performance you are looking for .... buying a new left should not even be considered.

from my experience i went from the FFD to the TPC resulting in a buttery smooth ride. Essentially with the FFD all the small bumps a transmitted to the coil making for a "jerky" ride. The TPC damper is installed on the bottom of the coil to "soaking" up the small bumps and transmitting the large bumps to the coil. The TPC upgrade is about $85-90 bucks for the damper plus the blue knob and well worth it - go for it you wont regret!!!! as for the SPV someone else will have to chime in :rolleyes:

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
Since everyone else has been straight down the middle, and honestly so, I'll be Mr. Opinion. Do the TPC, it costs less, and offers more. If pedalling efficiency is what you like, pedal in circles. Having a fork that only eats the larger stuff just feels yucky, once you have that small bump eating ability, you'll wish it to never go away=:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
SPV replacement with TPC

What would I have to do to replace the SPV with the TPC unit and how would I get it ???

Thanks
Tom

MendonCycleSmith said:
Since everyone else has been straight down the middle, and honestly so, I'll be Mr. Opinion. Do the TPC, it costs less, and offers more. If pedalling efficiency is what you like, pedal in circles. Having a fork that only eats the larger stuff just feels yucky, once you have that small bump eating ability, you'll wish it to never go away=:)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
Welcome!

You can upgrade to SPV or TPC. Some say TPC is the upgrade though, not SPV. It depends of your riding style. If you prefer butter smooth action TPC could be better for you. If you prefer more efficient pedaling at the expense of a bit of small bump responsiveness, SPV is a good choice. I love my SPV, with the platform very low, it's decently smooth on even the smallest impacts (at the point a 2.3 tire takes care of the rest) and handle everything I throw at it without being bouncy.
Hi Dan,

I am actually looking at doing pretty much the same thing with my FFD. How much do you think the upgrade to a TPC would cost in Canada?

Thanks a lot.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
dbblackdiamond said:
Hi Dan,

I am actually looking at doing pretty much the same thing with my FFD. How much do you think the upgrade to a TPC would cost in Canada?

Thanks a lot.
You might be better to ask your LBS for correct pricing. I'm guessing between 150 and 200 CAD for the whole thing but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
You might be better to ask your LBS for correct pricing. I'm guessing between 150 and 200 CAD for the whole thing but I'm not sure.
Thanks a lot Dan. At least it gives me an idea of the price range ,so if the LBS quotes me $700, I know they are BSing me.

Thanks a lot.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
LeftyMax said:
What would I have to do to replace the SPV with the TPC unit and how would I get it ???

Thanks
Tom
Your Cannondale LBS should be able to get one, without too much trouble, and install it. If they talk of sending it to Cannondale, you need a new dealer, this is a no brainer job! I have sourced and installed quite a few, so I know! =:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.