Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Upgrading from WTB SX23

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Aresab 
#1 ·
I have a 2015 breezer repack expert and I want to go tubeless. I’ve been reading mixed reviews on going tubeless with the SX23 27.5” and I might just upgrade.

My main question is a dumb one, how do I know what size thru-axle I have? I know it’s a 15 front and 12 rear but what spacing? Breezers archives don’t show this.

I’m looking for spend roughly 350-400 on a wheel set that is tubeless ready.

#3 ·
I have a 2015 breezer repack expert and I want to go tubeless. I've been reading mixed reviews on going tubeless with the SX23 27.5" and I might just upgrade.

My main question is a dumb one, how do I know what size thru-axle I have? I know it's a 15 front and 12 rear but what spacing? Breezers archives don't show this.

I'm looking for spend roughly 350-400 on a wheel set that is tubeless ready.
I have a 15' Expert as well, the SX23 goes tubeless nicely with the stans kit for i23(rim strips, tape, sealant), but you would need the rim strips to avoid a burp. I'm 225 and rode that way for 2 years, now the wheels are on the wife's repack the same way. I laced in a pair of WTB i29's to my repack. The front is 15X100mm and the rear is 12X142mm, both non-boost for your new wheelset. I run a Maxxis Minion DHR-II 2.4 wide Trail rear and DFH 2.5 wide trail in the front on the i29's, the I23's stayed Minion DHF 2.3 f/r.

I love the bike and plan to keep it quite a while, I've done some upgrading and it's even better.

#4 ·
If I can run the stock wheels tubeless I’ll try that first. I haven’t got to ride my repack as much as I’d like but so far I really like it. It handles a lot better than my 2013 trek xcal did and obviously soaks up bumps a lot better. I don’t think it should be labeled as an enduro though, the HT angle is awfully XCish.

#8 ·
Our’s came with Vigilante Comps / wire bead FR/RR, I did not even bother trying them tubeless. you may very well have tubeless if they were upgraded, are they folding bead? The rims may go tubeless without the kit, there is a place for the bead to rest however it does not have the bead lock that tubeless rims typically have and you could burp them when slamming into a corner, YMMV. The stans rim strips are thick and hold the bead. My opinion to go the kit was it’s a lot cheaper then my dentist...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.