Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to upgrade my SRAM X1 group to Eagle. I assume my existing crankset and ring will be fine with 12 speed chain, right?

Also will the new Eagle shifter still play nice with Matchmaker bracket? I have Guide brakes and they still work fine. Thanks!

·
Registered
711 Posts
So a chainring for a SRAM 11 speed groupset, say an NX or GX groupset, will work with a 12 speed eagle drivechain, correct? Just wondering as I might be upgrading my 1X11 drivetrain to a 1X12 when the it's time for replacement.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,094 Posts
So a chainring for a SRAM 11 speed groupset, say an NX or GX groupset, will work with a 12 speed eagle drivechain, correct? Just wondering as I might be upgrading my 1X11 drivetrain to a 1X12 when the it's time for replacement.
Yep. If it's still in good shape, use it. It'll work fine. I've heard several people are using the 12spd chains on 11spd setups for better performance (how much better is anyone's guess). The only reason to change the chainring is if it's worn too far.

·
Registered
711 Posts
TBH the SRAM 12 speed steel rings are so cheap, you may as well get one, £15 in the UK, i assume around $15 in the US?
True. They are pretty cheap for sure. I was just curious as I thought a ring made for a 1x11 would have wider teeth than a ring made for a 1x12. Thought an eagle ring would work with a 11 speed chain, but not the other way around (ie. original NX/GX ring with a 12 speed chain).

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,094 Posts
TBH the SRAM 12 speed steel rings are so cheap, you may as well get one, £15 in the UK, i assume around $15 in the US?
$15 is a nice burger and a beer, plus why throw away something that's perfectly good? :)

True. They are pretty cheap for sure. I was just curious as I thought a ring made for a 1x11 would have wider teeth than a ring made for a 1x12. Thought an eagle ring would work with a 11 speed chain, but not the other way around (ie. original NX/GX ring with a 12 speed chain).
Ask SRAM and they'll say it won't work...how many times have we heard that before, eh? The inner width of the links still hasn't changed. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
711 Posts
$15 is a nice burger and a beer, plus why throw away something that's perfectly good? :)

Ask SRAM and they'll say it won't work...how many times have we heard that before, eh? The inner width of the links still hasn't changed. :thumbsup:
No doubt. Good info here. I wonder why some folks running the 12sp chain with an 11sp setup are seeing benefits if the inner width is the same. Curious to know what kind of benefits they are seeing.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Want to upgrade my SRAM X1 group to Eagle. I assume my existing crankset and ring will be fine with 12 speed chain, right?

Also will the new Eagle shifter still play nice with Matchmaker bracket? I have Guide brakes and they still work fine. Thanks!
It works. I just did it. 11 speed X1 to GX Eagle. Used the original chain ring and handlebar mount for the shifter. Great upgrade!

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you have GX 11-speed now, want to trade for GX Eagle? I just bought a bike with Eagle, don't need the range, and have GX 11-speed on my other bikes.

·
Registered
879 Posts
No doubt. Good info here. I wonder why some folks running the 12sp chain with an 11sp setup are seeing benefits if the inner width is the same. Curious to know what kind of benefits they are seeing.
I run a Eagle chain on a 11sp setup.
From what I can say, it's quiter than with a 11sp chain.
The 12sp chain is also better with backpedal issues on huge cogs like 46t or 50t.

I'm not sure if the inner width on 11 and 12sp chain are really the same.
I tried to put on a 12 spd chain lock on a 11sp chain and not matter what it just did not fit.
I also measured 12 and 11sp chains with a caliper and the 12sp chain is overall narrower.

Anyway, I had very good experiences so far with 12sp chains on 11sp setups and also 11sp chains on 10sp setups so I will keep doing it.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,094 Posts
I'm not sure if the inner width on 11 and 12sp chain are really the same.
I tried to put on a 12 spd chain lock on a 11sp chain and not matter what it just did not fit.
I also measured 12 and 11sp chains with a caliper and the 12sp chain is overall narrower.
I'm glad you mentioned this since I don't know if I heard someplace else. This makes sense since the pins for a 12spd chain would be slightly shorter to accomodate thinner links (inner width the same, outer narrower...overall width = narrower & each individual plate also narrower). If you have a caliper it should be pretty easy to confirm the difference if you're curious.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I'm glad you mentioned this since I don't know if I heard someplace else. This makes sense since the pins for a 12spd chain would be slightly shorter to accomodate thinner links (inner width the same, outer narrower...overall width = narrower & each individual plate also narrower). If you have a caliper it should be pretty easy to confirm the difference if you're curious.
Ok, here are my measurements.

11 speed

Outside
Outer plates = 5,61mm
Inner plates = 3,69mm

Inside
Outer plates = 3,95mm
Inner plates = 2,20mm

12 speed

Outside
Outer plates = 5,25mm
Inner plates = 3,46mm

Inside
Outer plates = 3,84mm
Inner plates = 2,20mm

Looks like the inner width of the black inner plates is the same while the the others are narrower on the 12 speed chain.

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you have GX 11-speed now, want to trade for GX Eagle? I just bought a bike with Eagle, don't need the range, and have GX 11-speed on my other bikes.
Well, the only GX component of my drivetrain is the rd, everything else is NX. It's all got about 700 miles on it. I'm on the third chain, so the sunrace cassette will probably need replacing soon. If you're OK with trading a good groupset for a really worn out groupset straight up, then yeah, lets trade.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.