Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received the R1's this afternoon. They are super light in the hand. Almost feel like toys rather than serious MTB equipment. :) I got the 180mm rotors for the front and 160 for the back. Very few places have them for less than $300 so I jumped at the chance when I found them and was able to pricematch another site (within just a few dollars). They couldn't deliver the "designated" front brake in time so I opted for two rear brakes. I read the manual available in Formula's website and found that the brake levers/master cylinders are interchangeable. The difference between the specified front and rear brakes is the length of the brake hose. I decided I could cut the hoses to the proper length and bleed the system (experience with Avid Elixir CR). What's nice about the brake kits is that an extra biconical, tightening "bush" and plug are included in each. :) More to report after I switch out the brakes and try out the R1's.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RiceKilla said:
Where did you find them for that price?
UniversalCycles.com. Actually, JensonUSA.com has the cheapest price I could find, but they're always out of stock (for good reason). I plugged their site in for a price match in UniversalCycles.com and got to within $5 so I ordered from them instead since they have the R1's in stock.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
david8613 said:
so what made you move from the elixer to formulas?
1) I have to admit that when I first came across pictures of the R1, I thought they looked pretty cool so I did my research to see if the coolness factor wasn't just skin deep. I was impressed with what I learned.
2) I wanted a simpler set of brakes that shared some similarities to the Avids. The R1 has the adjustable reach levers and the ability to attach Sram X9/X0 shifters onto the brake clamp.
3) I'm a tinkerer at heart and I'm constantly trying different setups to find what's best.
4) I like the idea of a one-piece caliper body. Again, simplicity.
5) The overall lightness of the brakes is a plus. :thumbsup:
6) It was a Christmas gift. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's what I've learned so far:
1) The R1's brake house is more pliable/flexible than the Elixir CR's.
2) The R1's "bush" is made of soft metal such that it can easily be deformed when loosening or tightening it, hence, the inclusion of an extra one in the brake kit.
3) I wish the plug was threaded like the one in the Elixir CR. It's difficult to just jam the thing into the newly cut hose.
4) The Elixir CR lever assembly is built more robustly. It has larger clamp bolts and, when pulling the lever, it feels more secure in the hand. The R1 lever feels a little floppy on the return to the start position. The latter also has that squishy sound when pulled.
5) The R1 seems a bit more difficult to align onto the rotor than the Elixir. Seems that the gap between brake pads (I think this was mention here before) is narrower in the R1 than the Elixir.

I'll put the R1's through some tests later today.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The gap on the R1s is more narrow? I can't imagine. Wow. I hope they work out well for you. How does the modulation feel? You might be able to tweak the piston throw/gap by shimming the bleed block when bleeding the system. This helped with my ElixirCRs.

Enjoy! I'm sure they're great brakes. I hope the hassle-factor ends up being low.

·
Registered
863 Posts
grnamin said:
Here's what I've learned so far:
1) The R1's brake house is more pliable/flexible than the Elixir CR's.
2) The R1's "bush" is made of soft metal such that it can easily be deformed when loosening or tightening it, hence, the inclusion of an extra one in the brake kit.
3) I wish the plug was threaded like the one in the Elixir CR. It's difficult to just jam the thing into the newly cut hose.
4) The Elixir CR lever assembly is built more robustly. It has larger clamp bolts and, when pulling the lever, it feels more secure in the hand. The R1 lever feels a little floppy on the return to the start position. The latter also has that squishy sound when pulled.
5) The R1 seems a bit more difficult to align onto the rotor than the Elixir. Seems that the gap between brake pads (I think this was mention here before) is narrower in the R1 than the Elixir.

I'll put the R1's through some tests later today.
I didnt want to rain on your parade,but now that you have noted the above I'll state "I dont see the r1 as an upgrade ".....The elixir cr is a very versital brake,it covers far more gound (or less in brake terms) than the r1 and with less maintance....now a set of hope tech V2 would be an upgrade

·
Registered
626 Posts
r1 long term

I have been riding the R1s for about 6 months -- about 2,800 miles - I have not had to bleed the brakes, have not lost fluid, the modulation is the best I have use and the power more than enough for me in 160 FR. On some rides the have gone over 15K in a day climbing/descending and don't seem to fade. Granted my bike is on the light side and I weigh 160.

Now, here is the only DRAG about the R1 lack of contact (gap) adjustment, too narrow a gap for the rotor. Eventually they start to drag and have to be cleaned and some times readjusted. Switching between wheel sets if often a pain. On one of the local timed hill climbs, (for road bikes) I pulled a rotor rather than screwing with readjusting when I swapped in my lighter rims and maxxis 285's. Riding a F/S mountain bike with knobbies on a timed road climb is handicapped enough! OK I'm still glowing, I posted a 2 minute faster time of the MTB that my road racing buddies and his team... but I had to ride with no rear brake! Did the lake of drag save me tons of time?? Maybe not, but MENTALLY I couldn't prepare for the climb, would not be able to push as hard and didn't have time to fuss with the brakes.

As long as I don't swap wheel sets back and forth I am ok with the slight rubbing. BUT mentally it is a drag!!! I would buy the r1s again in a hart beat, if I only rode 1 set of wheels, had a personal mechanic or they figured a way to increase the rotor gap!

my 2 cents -

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the suggestion. I ordered them from UniversalCycles.com, but I don't feel right returning them because I already resized the brake hoses. I'm 100% sure that the leaks aren't coming from that section of the brake. I can see the fluid coming out from the top of the master cylinders.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.