Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Older than I feel
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a pinned thread on the old forum about drivetrain compatibility, it may still exist but it's not pinned any more.

Currently have a 3x9 setup on a 2008 vintage Chumba XCL; I've had both SRAM and Shimano cassettes on it. Thinking about updating to 2x10, 2x11, or 1x11. Can I get an 11-speed cassette to fit on what was originally a 9-speed hub? I know I'll have to swap the rear derailleur and shifter. Thanks for any pointers.

Registered
Shimano HG freehub dimensions haven't changed since 7,8,9 speeds, 10, 11 (and even some 12speed HG) cassette cog spacing have mainly got narrower to fit within the same real estate available.

Seeing as you're upgrading your shifter and derailleur anyway I reckon why not go 1x and gain from the benefits they give over multi speed set ups.

If you haven't tried 1x before and decide to go down that route I doubt you'll ever go back! 馃槈

always licking the glass
Death to front derailleurs!!

You can keep the same cranks if you go single speed up front, but make sure you order the right type of chainring.

With a 10-51t cassette (12 speed), i run a 32t chainring. With 11 speed (11-46t), i ran a 30t chainring.

I also ride on 27.5 wheels, so you might be comfortable on the 32t for both since you鈥檙e sticking with 26.

Chucko: if you decide to go 12 speed Shimano, i have some parts I鈥檓 selling.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
You are fine. I think 11 speed is the sweet spot right now in terms of price/ performance myself.

Just be careful to get the HG compatible cassette. Shimano 11 speed cassettes are all HG compatible so no worries there, but many of the SRAM cassettes require an xD free hub.

Totally agree with ditching the front DR. 1x11 has plenty of range. If you have a lot of steep hills, maybe go with a 30t front ring, otherwise 32 is fine. You might have to shop a little to find a 30t ring compatible with 4 bolt.

Registered
Just to make it unanimous I agree 1x11 is the way to go.

My 27.5" mtb came with original stock set up of 30t chainring, 11-42 cassette. Next tweaked set up is 32t chainring with 11-46 cassette.

I Was sceptical with an unknown spec alteration from NX to a Sunrace cassette at first, it's been great so have gone for a Sunrace cassette again. Nothing but solid, reliable shifting performance which I put down to an SLX M7000 derailleur and shifter.

always licking the glass
Just noticed @stripes comment and it's spot on. With a 26er, 32t should be fine, the smaller wheel size makes for less work.
Yeah, if he can find the parts, 11 speed is definitely the way to go. No problem finding a cassette to work on hyperglide, and a 32t would be fine, especially since @chucko58 runs fast rolling tires on 26 wheels.

And honestly, I don't see him needing a 51t cassette on his bike. That would be a bit silly.

Older than I feel
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to know!

I've been out of MTBing for a while so I'm not as strong as I used to be. There were times at Henry Coe where my old 22t chainring and 34t big cog weren't low enough when I was fit. So I'll take the specific gearing recommendations under advisement.

Might have to move the dropper post lever where the front shifter used to be.

Older than I feel
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like all the parts are readily available - 104mm narrow/wide chainring, Shimano XT shifter/derailleur/cassette. And I get paid tonight. Hmmm. Have to figure out what the appropriate low gear is with this setup. The XT derailleur I looked at specs a 46t max cog. So calculate the chainring based on that.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
I've been out of MTBing for a while so I'm not as strong as I used to be. There were times at Henry Coe where my old 22t chainring and 34t big cog weren't low enough when I was fit. So I'll take the specific gearing recommendations under advisement.
Well that changes things a bit.

If you are just getting back into cycling and riding Henry Coe, then maybe a 30t is a good idea. My wife rides a 26t, but to go that low you need spiderless cranks which would be a big extra cost. I'm pretty sure you can get a 4 bolt ring with 30t, if you haven't already pulled the trigger, might be worth the effort even with the 26 inch wheels, there are some big, nasty climbs getting out of Coe park. Coe is like the king of 6,000 foot climbing days.

always licking the glass
Well that changes things a bit.

If you are just getting back into cycling and riding Henry Coe, then maybe a 30t is a good idea. My wife rides a 26t, but to go that low you need spiderless cranks which would be a big extra cost. I'm pretty sure you can get a 4 bolt ring with 30t, if you haven't already pulled the trigger, might be worth the effort even with the 26 inch wheels, there are some big, nasty climbs getting out of Coe park. Coe is like the king of 6,000 foot climbing days.
Yes this. I forgot about this suffering that people in the Bay area like so much.

But Fiona also rides bigger wheels right? I can see Chucko climbing some walls in Coe with a 30t chainring and a 51t 12 speed and 26鈥 wheels now that you mention it.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
Yes this. I forgot about this suffering that people in the Bay area like so much.

But Fiona also rides bigger wheels right? I can see Chucko climbing some walls in Coe with a 30t chainring and a 51t 12 speed and 26鈥 wheels now that you mention it.
Yes she does ride a 29er. But she won't ride Coe. Full Stop.

If I'd lived close to Coe, I'm sure I'd have ridden it a bunch. It's rugged and full of options which I love. It's just painfully steep and hot as hell most of the year. I recall a weekend out there with a group Fast Eddy put together was pretty awesome.

always licking the glass
Yes she does ride a 29er. But she won't ride Coe. Full Stop.

If I'd lived close to Coe, I'm sure I'd have ridden it a bunch. It's rugged and full of options which I love. It's just painfully steep and hot as hell most of the year. I recall a weekend out there with a group Fast Eddy put together was pretty awesome.
I'm with Fiona on that. There are trails here I won't ride for the exact same reason. 1 and done.

I've ridden a couple of times at Coe. Every time I swore at it because it sucked. The first time I ran out of water on supposedly the "easy" ride. I think @BigLarry the last couple of times had me do a 6 mile loop that he referred to as "lovely" but even with my not-so-climbing lungs it wasn't my idea of fun.

Older than I feel
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ran the numbers and the ratio with a 30t ring and a 46t big cog is almost exactly the same as a 22t ring on a 34t cog.

I'm not going to be in shape for Coe any time soon. I do recall one of the guys I regularly ran into there told me his secret to getting up the steepest hills: a 20t chainring.

Older than I feel
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can see Chucko climbing some walls in Coe with a 30t chainring and a 51t 12 speed and 26鈥 wheels now that you mention it.
In my dreams, maybe. Switching to 12 speed isn't in the cards any time soon.

Cycologist
Huh. I missed that because I was focused on XT. Hmmm.
The recommendation is usually to go XT on the shifter with the Deore derailleur and cassette. That's the system I put on one of my bikes and it works well. Not sure how available these parts are at the moment, though.

Older than I feel
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The recommendation is usually to go XT on the shifter with the Deore derailleur and cassette. That's the system I put on one of my bikes and it works well. Not sure how available these parts are at the moment, though.
The XT stuff was easy to find in stock - except for the chain, of all things.

The Deore derailleur is apparently unobtainable right now. And that's the crucial piece, because AFAICT no other Shimano 11-speed rear derailleur will take a 51 tooth cog.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts