Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Fuel EX 8 that I bought new in 2013. I still like the bike but the shifting is not as clean as I would like. I had the cassette replaced last year and had a full service done at the local Trek dealer a few months ago. It still isn't shifting as well as I'd like. It has a Shimano 3x10 setup. I think the SRAM 1x12 on my other bike makes the contrast noticeably bad on the Trek. I was going to just buy a new bike but there don't seem to be many available. Instead, I am thinking I might be able to upgrade the drive. Is it possible to change it to a GX Eagle 1x12 or something similar or are they not compatible? Thanks

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
It can definitely be done, but there are things to consider.

Assuming you want to convert to SRAM 1x12

New Cassette (~$100-400)
New Chain (~$50)
New Rear derailleur (~$100)
New Shifter (~$100)
New 12speed compatible chainring ( ~$50)
(maybe a new crank) ~$150

New freehub XD driver body to accommodate SRAM GX or higher cassette (this is wheel/hub specific). (~$100)

I believe NX or SX cassettes can still use the old Shimano standard.

If you change cranks, a new bottom bracket might be required. Might not be a bad idea to inspect/replace if necessary. ~$50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
705 Posts
The biggest hurdle with going 1x12 would be the freehub body. As junior77 said, there are a couple options that will fit what you have, but they are very heavy. Sunrace may also have a cassette.

Another option would be to go with 1x11. Shimano and Sunrace both make decent cassettes, and they can be used with Sram shifting if that's your preference.

I don't know what crank you have, but it probably has a 104mm x4 bolt circle. Very common. Get a narrow-wide chainring in the size of your choice, and you will probably need 1x specific chainring bolts. Bolt the chainring up to the middle ring position and you should be all set. I am doing exactly that with a 2011 Shimano XT crank.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Thanks guys. I wouldn't even mind just going 1x10 but with cleaner shifting. I wonder if I could do that easier.
Well…

You could try just removing the front derailuer and shifter.

What cranks do you have? Are they the Shimano XT or SRAM cranks? Either way you would need a new narrow wide middle chain ring. Probably 30T would be a 'good' gearing for a 1x10, but depending on your terrain and ability to climb could go up or down a size.

More importantly when you say the shifting is bad, what do you mean?

The 3x10 Shimano always stuff shifted good, but the FD shifting was always a bit violent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
943 Posts
It's all Shimano. The specs say the cranks are Shimano M552. The rear derailuer is a Shimano Deore XT. Maybe the parts are just worn out.
I don't know how to copy the thread, but on Reddit, one year ago someone said "Just picked up a 2014 Trek Fuel EX, need some guidance converting 3x to 1x12" if you Google there's great info on it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Check into shimano 1x11 too. You might shave that cost down under $400 depending on what's available. You can keep your cranks and hub that way.
If true I'd go that route. I have an older bike that needs some updating but it's just hard putting $800+ into a bike that isn't even worth that much. I mean, for a little more (ok, a lot more but you know what I mean) you can get a brand new Meta. I guess if that's really all it needs I'd do it, but it's tough putting money into a 2014 bike, especially since the geo and pretty much everything about them has gotten so much better.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
What kind of shifter do you have? I've got a few bikes: the beater in the shed has LX and it shifts good enough for a shed/mud bike, but it's pretty unimpressive. I've got 9sp xtr shifter and xt der on my old hardtail, that old xtr shifts super smooth and nice, pretty much every bit as good as the 11sp xtr shifter and der on my newer bike. I'd consider buying a good condition xtr 10sp shifter for your bike, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most xtr have ball bearings instead of bushings, and it does make a difference. Odds are pretty good that an 11-42 cassette will work with what you've got for an easy 1x10 conversion. I changed my kids bike from 3x slx/xt to 1x with 32t front and an 11-42 rr cassette and it works great, - his slx shifter works fine, just not nearly as smooth and crisp as xtr (I put a $50 ish sunrace cassette on that bike and it works great, but XTs are not a whole lot more). And of course make sure your cables are clean and not gummed/dirted up.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I once owned this exact bike and am sure I also replied to an identical question recently. Maybe it was on some other forum? 🤔
Anyway... The easiest, cheapest and quickest answer to convert your 2014 Fuel EX 8 for is to convert from 3x10 to Deore 1x11 M5100 with an 11-51 cassette.
  • Huge cassette range - cassette is almost identical to current 1x12 XT/SLX/Deore
  • Keep existing rear wheel and freehub - New cassette is HG freehub compatible same as your old 10 speed one.
  • keep existing FC-M552 cranks but replace the 3 chainrings with 1 narrow/wide chainring.
You need to buy:
  • Cassette - CS-M5100 11-51t
  • Derailleur - RD-M5100 SGS - Rear derailleur for the 11-51 cassette
  • Shifter - SL-M5100 Deore or SL-M7000 SLX or SL-M8000 XT. 11 speed shifters.
  • Chainring - any 32t narrow/wide chainring with a 104 BCD/PCD on ebay or somewhere.
  • Chain - CN-HG601 SLX or CN-HG701 XT 11 speed.

Simples.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Awesome, thanks!
Edit to my post above. Maybe go with a 34t chainring instead of a 32t if you want the same lowest climbing ratio and almost the same top end. You might spin out a bit with a 32t

I have no idea if a 34t fits in the frame.

See this link for gearing comparison.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. I already ordered the parts but I think I went with a 28 or 30 tooth chainring. I can easily change that part so I'll see how it is and take it from there. All of the parts should be delivered this week. I picked the smaller chain ring because it fit between my current 2 which are 24 and 32. I wasn't really thinking about the fact that the new cassette will have different ratios. That's okay. I normally travel trails that where my speed ranges between 5mph and 20mph so I am usually in lower gears. If it needs a bigger chainring, that's an easy enough fix. Thanks for the help.

·
Shapeshifter
93 Posts
Maybe leave an extra link on your chain until you decide on the ring for sure. That is assuming you’re using a power link.

I think you can leave the 24t ring in place too and have it for a survival gear. Don’t need a derailleur, you can move it by hand.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks. Mine is a 29er. I have it all setup. I just need to take it to a trail when things dry out to test it. I had a hard time figuring out how to adjust the derailleur but it is hitting all of the gears now. I’ll take some pictures.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts