Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
ride it like you stole it
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '06 Dawg Supreme and am looking to upgrade from the current 6" rotors. I was looking at the 7 inch Hayes but was wondering if it is just better to go right up to the 8"? I do some freeriding as well as trailriding with this bike. Thanks for the advice!

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
i just upgraded from 6 inch rotors myself to 8 inch ones on both ends, and i can safely say they make a helluva difference :thumbsup:

an idea might be to get an 8 inch rotor up front and a 7 inch rotor on the rear to save a bit of weight.

·
Registered
422 Posts
An 8" will make a difference up front but I wouldn't bother with changing the 6" out back. But your fork may have a disclaimer about running bigger than a 6" rotor.

·
ride it like you stole it
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So go with the 8's and skip over the 7's? The fork I have is an '06 Fox Float RLC. I don't know what is "allowable" for rotors but I will shoot Fox an email and find out.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
I believe the new Fox forks are okay with the larger rotors. I know earlier Fox forks would crack at the tabs or dropouts.

Are you feeling significant fade with the 160mm rotors? If not, don't bother upgrading, it's just extra weight. And the rotor and caliper hang an inch lower, easier to smack on stuff.

If you feel the power is lacking, try different pads first, they can make a huge difference.

If you are fading badly, try bleeding with a DOT 5.1 (NOT SILICONE BASED DOT 5!!!). And try different braking techniques. Don't just grab a handful and drag them. Brake in intervals and only when neccesary. Don't use your brakes as a crutch.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Pad and rotor change

I now use Kool Stop brake pads on Hayes brakes. My original rotors got so thin I thought they would break. I got new rotors on Ebay. I was on a tight budget at the time so I bought A2Z rotors 160mm. They weighed a little more than the Hayes rotors ( 6 grams ). They were advertised as having more braking surface than the stock Hayes rotors. I bought them and as soon as I could afford it I was going to buy the Hayes rotors. I put the A2Z rotors on and used them for about 3 weeks. I was amazed how well they worked. I then bought Hayes rotors and changed them again. They didn't work nearly as well. I used them for 3 rides and put the A2Z back on. The brakes don't fade as much with the A2Z rotors and Kool Stop pads as with the stock Hayes. The rotors cost less than the Hayes and work alot better. Here is the link on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...loc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget
Its a way to get better braking performance and not increasing the weight very much. They also sell 180mm rotors.
If you want pictures PM me and I'll send them to you. I also wouldn't put anything bigger than 180 on the front and leave the 160 on the back.

·
7am Backcountry ;- )
821 Posts
I put x2 Hayes V8's on my Coiler. don't bother with 7's there for wimps ;)

Plus V8's look great - i'm waiting for the V15's to come out lol

I loved them so much I kept them when I upgraded my Hayes to Avid Juicys!

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Looks like your caliper mounting bolts need to be torqued. And maybe some grips... And a drivetrain...

I ran that same setup for a while. I have o4/o5 J7s with Hayes v8 rotors. I'm actually going back to smaller rotors. I put a v6 back on the rear.

Hayes has a larger 9 inch rotor available now. Overkill, IMO.

·
7am Backcountry ;- )
821 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Looks like your caliper mounting bolts need to be torqued. And maybe some grips... And a drivetrain...

I ran that same setup for a while. I have o4/o5 J7s with Hayes v8 rotors. I'm actually going back to smaller rotors. I put a v6 back on the rear.

Hayes has a larger 9 inch rotor available now. Overkill, IMO.
lol they were pics taken while i was setting up the juicys! ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.