Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm mostly in MTB, so Road/CX components are new to me, that's why any advise will be very welcome.

I have a Merida CX 700.

Want to upgrade to Hydraulic brakes.
Found locally a good deal, Dura Ace 11sp shifters + calipers new at 300USD.

Will upgrade also the derailleur, front rings and an XT mtb cassette (11-...36-40)
All this components will not gonna be Dura Ace (I don't need those extra 50gr. weight saving for additional 100+$).

So My question is, will Dura Ace shifters work find and be compatible with the rest of components?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Hi,

I'm mostly in MTB, so Road/CX components are new to me, that's why any advise will be very welcome.

I have a Merida CX 700.

Want to upgrade to Hydraulic brakes.
Found locally a good deal, Dura Ace 11sp shifters + calipers new at 300USD.

Will upgrade also the derailleur, front rings and an XT mtb cassette (11-...36-40)
All this components will not gonna be Dura Ace (I don't need those extra 50gr. weight saving for additional 100+$).

So My question is, will Dura Ace shifters work find and be compatible with the rest of components?
Road derailleur will have problems accomodating wide range XT casette, MTB derailleurs have different cable pull ratios than road so a mtb derailleur wont work well with Dura ace shifters without a converter. The long cage Ultegra RX is rated up to 34tooth rear. Wait a few month and the GRX stuff should be out to handle more.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Road derailleur will have problems accomodating wide range XT casette, MTB derailleurs have different cable pull ratios than road so a mtb derailleur wont work well with Dura ace shifters without a converter. The long cage Ultegra RX is rated up to 34tooth rear. Wait a few month and the GRX stuff should be out to handle more.
I'm using now 105 Long cage (or medium Not sure) derailleur, it works fine with 36tooth mtb cassete and has plenty of space, pretty sure will handle 40.

Yes, GRX specs looks to be very interesting, I've already read all the info.
Actually it made me to stop and wait for the prices.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Short cage will fit 32 if you crank the b-tension. I bet a mid or long cage will take a 36 or 40.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.