Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice on upgrades on the roscoe 8.
Made the mistake of riding a friends new intense primer mtb around the parking lot after we just got off the trails.
The entire feel was different. He's much more into hard downhill stuff so I don't need that type of geometry, but the brakes and the shifting were night and day compared to the roscoe. I rode a trek carbon top fuel with the GX derailer and didn't really notice much difference between my nx. the slx seemed smoother.
The rear engagement on the roscoe sucks with loads of play.
1. Would like to upgrade the rear wheel with better hub - suggestions
2. I liked the feel of the slx shifter vs my nx derailler. Not sure if that feel was in the shifter itself or the entire combination of slx derailler and shifter? I switched mine from the nx to gx and I like the precision of it better than nx. I still liked the smoothness of the slx.
3. Recommendation on fork upgrades. The roscoe is a 30mm. I don't think i need to go beyond 34 for the type of riding I do. I'm curious to see how much of a difference a better shock would make?
4. Lastly brake upgrades. sram vs shimano

I don't know what these upgrades would cost yet.
It may make more sense going to the ex8? I really like the roscoe but i think it could be a much better bike with some solid upgrades.
Not sure at this point.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the same model I own and here is some stuff I did/heard/read:

1. Would like to upgrade the rear wheel with better hub - suggestions

I heard about people using a hope hub and hope should offer a better engagement but I think even bontrager itself offers hubs with better engagement. If i remember correctly, the hope hubs will need an adaptor offered by hope to fit the 141 boost on the Trek.

2. I liked the feel of the slx shifter vs my nx derailler. Not sure if that feel was in the shifter itself or the entire combination of slx derailler and shifter? I switched mine from the nx to gx and I like the precision of it better than nx. I still liked the smoothness of the slx.

Shimano and Sram -basically every 12sp stuff is interchangeable and possible to combine. You could overhaul the shifter to make it feel more new if you haven't done it recently. Shimano and Sram shifting feels different so it might also be the case that you like Shimano better. My choice would be Shimano XT, it's more on the higher end than XLS but still more affordable than GX. Biggest downside is the 141 hub which is not available with XD driver. That means you are stuck to cassettes with nothing less than 11 teeth as the highest gear. So higher cassettes of any brand would simply not fit on the wheel, which results in buying a new wheel with a 141 Hub and XD driver, which Trek statet on his website is not available to buy form Trek so this includes some searching.
You are probably better off buying a Hub compatible 11 or 10 speed groupset which easier to set up, offer more tolerance in fine tuning and are overall lighter while still offering a more than sufficient lowest gear -at least in my opinion.

3. Recommendation on fork upgrades. The roscoe is a 30mm. I don't think i need to go beyond 34 for the type of riding I do. I'm curious to see how much of a difference a better shock would make?

I switched mine out for a super good deal on Rockshox Revelations and I feel like thats extremely close to very high end fork performance with stiff 35mm stanchions and even about 300-400g lighter. Manitou would probably be my other choice. Sr Suntour makes some good budget forks aswell and the Rockshox offers some cheaper than the Revelation. You will probably be looking at something from 350 to 600€ to make a real good difference without overdoing it. I would recommend upgrading to 140mm since 20mm less or more ist easily within tolerance for every frame and 1° slacker will in every way help but not hurt the Roscoe.

4. Lastly brake upgrades. sram vs shimano

Had the same debate aswell and went for the Magura Trail Sport: two pistons front and 203mm, four pistons rear and 180mm. They offer a lot more power and are still light and not on the downhill side of things. I read online about people running them on enduro full suspensions, claiming you could endure race with them. Other options i would pick are be any 4 piston brake front with a 200mm rotor and a 2 piston brake rear with a 180mm rotor.

I don't know what these upgrades would cost yet.

Your main priorities should be a real good fork and brakes.
For about 350 to 600€ you can get great value Fork but look for discounts (got my 2021 Revelation for 325 instead of 540). Buy cheaper and its probably still a good bit better but won't totally blow you away.
If you spend about 200-300 for brakes of any brand you should be more than good. Just look for 4Pistons front and you can probably just pick 2Pistons rear combined with bigger rotors front and rear (I spend just a little above 200€ for the whole Magura set including rotors).

At this point you upgraded everything that's important and everything else is not really necessary.
Now you could pick a hub compatible 11 or 10 speed groupset and this will safe you tons of weight and will be way cheaper and easier on the technical side aswell.

If you still want a better 12 speed you will have to find a 141 hub with an XD driver. A wheel and hub engagement upgrade will come with that and you are probably looking at about 300€ for the wheel.
If your thinking about that I would just wear out your existing drive train and buy a new frame and Wheel at the same time.
First of all you get to pick a frame with a normal hub boost standart and finding a wheel with XD driver and better engagement for that is extremely easy and there are lots of options in price and brands.
A good hardtail frame with a nice hub standard (141 roscoe hubs are not nice because of the problems mentioned) and a more modern geometry will set you back 800€ at maximum and buying a 140mm fork will probably come in handy when choosing something more trail than cross country orientated.

It may make more sense going to the ex8? I really like the roscoe but i think it could be a much better bike with some solid upgrades.

So you can get both great brakes and a new fork for 600-700€ and you should be happy with your bike for at least a year even without a better dirvetrain and hub engagement.

After that you could just get a new frame and rear wheel for about 1000€ next year. At that point it's up to you to get a better drivetrain but I wouldn't bother with a better drivetrain yet if it isn't worn out. Just keep in mind that a better drivetrain will be lighter and smoother but not make the bike handle the terrain better. It's the same with a better engaging hub: it feels better and is more efficient but riding down the rock garden won't be easier with it.

Regarding the Trek Fuel:
I'd say if we are talking about 140mm suspension and below full suspensions will make it easier and likely faster but hardtails are the way to make it fun, challenging and will make you a better rider.
If considering a full suspension I would go for an enduro not to replace the Hardtail but to put everything you learned on it on a extremely capable machine to tackle everything at high speed which felt sketchy at moderate speed on the hardtail.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts