Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. So after a long while I'm back riding. Back in 97 I bought a Raleigh M60 and rode it for about 50 miles. Not because it was a bad bike but had a new baby and just too busy. It went into storage until I moved last year. I cleaned up the dust and outside of a rear wheel that needs trues up a little it is almost like new.

Its a rigid bike and rides great. I want to replace the cantilever brakes up front and put a good but economical fork up front. $200 for the fork is my budget. I plan to use the bike as a spare and a loaner and just to have as an alternative if the whim hits me.

Any ideas on what I need? I know a travel agent is gonna be required for the brake upgrade. Hit me with some ideas.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Leave the fork alone and ride it rigid.
What kind of brakes does it have? Cantilever?

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have built up a couple of 90's mountain bikes and it is fun, but you will spend more money on it than it is worth. From the specs on BikePedia you have a fork with a 1" steerer tube. You can't find any suspension forks out there worth buying with a 1" steerer. You can find them on ebay every now and then, but you better do some homework before you buy someone else's unrepairable fork.

But if you just have to upgrade something on the bike, you need to go on ebay and find a good set of avid 5's. If the bike has cantilever brakes you will need to pick up V-brake levers.

John

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
^^^
This. Why mess with a Travel Agent when you can have native compatibility.

Also, if you want to use it as a spare/loaner, why throw money at it at all? Or maybe just some new brake pads and a tuneup. Rubber sometimes stores badly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.