Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my wife's bike. Its still in really nice condition (she only rides it on roads/crushed stone trails). I want to upgrade it. As of now its a 7 speed. I wanted to uprgrade it to full LX and make it a 9 speed. I called Giant and they seemed more inclined I don't mess with the bike (another words don't up grade it to a 9 speed). I am not a bike expert, so not sure why they would deter me.

Any advice? The bike is VERY heavy stock. Would like to upgrade it for her birthday in march as a suprise. Thanks!:)

Its actually a 2002.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
They would try to deter you because for the price of upgrades you could purchase a new bike with as good or better components .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AZ.MTNS said:
They would try to deter you because for the price of upgrades you could purchase a new bike with as good or better components .
more than likely. but any advice? can I make the upgrades? will the geometry allow this...the bike was made for a 7-8 speed. not a 9 speed. thanks again.:)

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
X2 , it can be done . I however would not recomend it .

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
kps88 said:
why would you both not recommend it?
Because of this, likely:

AZ.MTNS said:
They would try to deter you because for the price of upgrades you could purchase a new bike with as good or better components.
Pretty simple. Unless you or she or both are just really partial to this bike for some reason--color, the way it handles or fits, feel it would be most frugal to upgrade, or ??? then by the time you have bought the parts to upgrade, a new and better bike with the changes already done will likely not cost much more. I concur with them.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Price the parts needed to complete this project , versus the cost of an equivelant new ride . I would also ask you , do you know what parts you need to complete this project ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked the prices on upgrades for RaceFace X-Type crankset,LX Shimano r. and f.derailler, LX shifters, new chain, Easton EA50 stem/seatpost/handlebar, WTB Shimano wheelset disc/dual rim brakes, and pedals would run me approx $360. My LBS will charge me $45 to replace all the components. I already have the tires, tubes, shock (the Suntour has worked great for her. she is only 120 lbs and never abiused it), brake system and seat. The cable/housing would run me maybe $20. so the total cost would be aprrox $400.

I could not find any bike that has anywhere near those components/frame etc. for $400. I could sell the Rincon for maybe $150, but could not find anything near this bike even for $550. is there something you guys know about that costs roughly $600 with those kinds of components.

·
Can't feel my legs
852 Posts
Sounds like you got some good prices, and a very generous LBS. If you can do it for that price, go for it. Don't forget you will need BB, chain, and cassette.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that is a nice bike, but the upgrades are much higher quality than what Giant gives (in terms of derailler, stem/seat/handle bar, shifters, cassette, wheelset and crank.) other than the disc brakes, its pretty much the same bike (component wise)

The disc brakes, however, are a nice option. I don't think the disc brakes matter in this case, she never takes the bike "off road". but for that price, that is a very nice bike. But I doubt the frame is any better/worse between the two, so looking at a much better/lighter bike with upgrades instead of buying new. but again, the bike you provided is very nice.

the Rincon I have is easily 9/10 condition. literally no scratches/dents/marks anywhere. the paint jobs on these are pretty tough. she rides 15-20 times per summer (couple days per week from May-October) and she never fell off it and never dropped it.

I did see the bikesdirect has some nice bikes for great prices.:)

·
Registered
388 Posts
If she doesn't ride it offroad why upgrade the whole thing?

Try some new pedals and lock on grips, maybe a stem and handlebar is she isn't comfortable while riding.

I have to ask - is this what she would really want for her birthday?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mainlane said:
If she doesn't ride it offroad why upgrade the whole thing?

Try some new pedals and lock on grips, maybe a stem and handlebar is she isn't comfortable while riding.

I have to ask - is this what she would really want for her birthday?
the bike is pretty heavy. she rode my Klein and was amazed and could not believe how light it was compared to hers. I could probably shave a good 5 pounds off, maybe more with the upgrades. the Giant stuff on there now is total crap.

she likes to ride. once she gets on, she will notice the difference..she will like it because she would never expect it.:) (as a BD gift)

if she was doing the off-road thing, I would also change out the shock, but its ok for what she does now. the LX components are lighter and will be smoother. The issue I initially have and still do (in a sense) is it ok to makes these changes since the bike is supposed to be a 7 speed, not a 9 speed.

·
Can't feel my legs
852 Posts
Yes, as stated above, going to 9spd is not a problem. Difference in performance should be noticable, but do not expect a 5 pound difference in weight, more like 1 if your lucky.

·
mbtr member
6,499 Posts
Here's an answer.

First, upgrading to 9 speed gets you... 2 more gears. That's great, if the jump between the 17 and 19 tooth cogs was bothering you. With drivetrain the improvement in weight at each level is not terribly drastic (although it's certainly there!), drivetrain is not a terribly rewarding place to upgrade parts. The really nice stuff lasts longer and shifts a bit better, so best bet is to replace it as it wears out. Fork, frame, and wheels will get you much better return for your $, but to lose a pound from any of those will be at least 200$ each. The weight is spread throughout the bike, and no one component is the anchor. Better just to start out with something that is light and made to go fast- it won't cost much more in the end.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
upgrade if the money you spend will give you more happiness than keeping that amount of cash in your wallet. who knows, sometimes i just want to buy something for the sake of buying. thats a perfectly fine reason to upgrade your bike you know...

·
Registered
150 Posts
If your bike is 7 speed. It is possible that you have a freewheel, not a cassette on your rear wheel. If this is the case, you will need to replace your rear wheel as well to go 9 speed. Its really not worth upgrading unless you enjoy doing such things. I know I do.

·
Can't feel my legs
852 Posts
safme said:
If your bike is 7 speed. It is possible that you have a freewheel, not a cassette on your rear wheel. If this is the case, you will need to replace your rear wheel as well to go 9 speed. Its really not worth upgrading unless you enjoy doing such things. I know I do.
He already stated he will be replacing the wheels.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts