Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· underweargoesinsidepants
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, finally decided to register and post.

I do mostly road riding but I've been doing more single tracking this summer and the drivetrain on my old hardtail is wearing out. I have a '97 Gary Fisher hardtail. The frame is great and I honestly don't need a full suspension for the stuff I ride. The bike has mostly the stock STX-rc components and Sram Grip shifters.

I've been reading good things about SRAM's new stuff and decided to switch everything over to SRAM X.7 as it seems the best value/performance level and the 1:1 shifting sounds easier to adjust. Any other thoughts on the Sram stuff versus Shimano?

Now my question... will a 9 speed SRAM cassette fit on my old 8 speed Shimano hub? As far as I can tell I only need to upgrade the cassette, chain, r. derail. and shifters which in total is still pretty cheap but do I have to extend that to the hub as well?

· Registered
2,728 Posts
asterisk said:
Long time lurker, finally decided to register and post.

I do mostly road riding but I've been doing more single tracking this summer and the drivetrain on my old hardtail is wearing out. I have a '97 Gary Fisher hardtail. The frame is great and I honestly don't need a full suspension for the stuff I ride. The bike has mostly the stock STX-rc components and Sram Grip shifters.

I've been reading good things about SRAM's new stuff and decided to switch everything over to SRAM X.7 as it seems the best value/performance level and the 1:1 shifting sounds easier to adjust. Any other thoughts on the Sram stuff versus Shimano?

Now my question... will a 9 speed SRAM cassette fit on my old 8 speed Shimano hub? As far as I can tell I only need to upgrade the cassette, chain, r. derail. and shifters which in total is still pretty cheap but do I have to extend that to the hub as well?
The 9spd SRAM cassette will fit on the 8spd hub. But since you stated the drivetrain is worn, you will also need to replace the chainrings or crankset. I would also change the front derailleur to a 9spd model which has a narrower cage. Be prepared to get less durability and strength with a 9spd drivetrain. The SRAM stuff is good, but 9spd IMO is not an upgrade.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.