Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted this on the Kona forum already but it would be good to get some more opinions here.

I have a 1998 Kona Kiluaea that I need to fix up a bit. Can a Kiluaea frame of that age take a new hub and 9 speed cassette, or will there not be enough space? I'm hoping to put an all SRAM X.9 drive chain on it.

The bike is currently running a rather worn out LX/XT drivetrain with an 8 speed cassette. This will all go but I'm keeping the Raceface (Turbine, I think) cranks. Will they be fine with a new 9 speed chain, or will I need new chain rings as well?

This bike was stolen about 3 and a half years ago in South Korea and magically returned to me about 6 months ago (long story). For that reason I'm really hoping the bike can take the upgrades I want as I don't want to give up the bike again. It's an awesome bike to ride. It really shoots up the hills and handles the rough stuff very nicely for a rigid bike.

Cheers,

Duncan

Here's a picture of my 2nd baby in all its baby vomit yellow glory

Attachments

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
Yep, you should be fine throwing the new stuff on.

Your old rings will probably be ok to use, but if they are that old, maybe just bite the bullet and go for new rings at the same time. You'll get better results with front shifting that way. The old stuff should work with the new 9spd chain, but it'll work better with new rings.

You should even be fine not even needing a new rear wheel, unless it's really toasted.
8 and 9 speed cassettes are the same width; it's the spacing between the cogs that is narrower.

-new 9spd shifters (twist or trigger, whatever you prefer)
-new 9spd rear mech
-new 9spd chain
-new 9spd cassette
-maybe new front chainrings

Nice ride; this'll be a great way to freshen it up a bit!

(anyone else please feel free to correct me if i forgot anything, or have the spacing stuff wrong)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Scrublover.

I went to my LBS yesterday and selected SRAM X.9 trigger shifters and rear deraileur, a new front deraileur, SRAM hollowpin chain, XT cassette and XT rear hub (the old hub is buggered anyway) and I'll get a Thomson seatpost thrown in as well. Prices are a bit higher in South Korea but the mechanic has been riding and racing for about 30 years and is a great guy.

Some might question putting the cash into a 1998 frame but it's a great bike. And if the frame ever wears out on me I'll just have an excuse for something like an Explosif, IF frame or something else nice.

Next on the upgrade list is avid mech front brake and a new fork.

Cheers,

Duncan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts