Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New XTR pedals for me steed. I'm done with those blasted, premature releasing, ATAC's. No toe overlap problems, whatsoever!

Also...new torx reservour cap screws...I probably shaved a gazillionth of a gram with these babies!

Attachments

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Pre-mature pedal release eh? Can't say I've ever had any experience with that.

I have had the experience of not being able to clip in while using SPD pedals though due to mud. Have fun with that.

They also look to be about 30g heavier than your Ti Atacs,or about the same as a carbon Atac.

·
graps the nettle
519 Posts
not so bad in mud...

Padre said:
I have had the experience of not being able to clip in while using SPD pedals though due to mud. Have fun with that.
after over a decade riding time pedals, from the funky one sided ones to the latest ATACs, i switched to 959s, then the new xtr pedals last year.

much as i liked the earlier ATAC, the most recent version has some clatter in the retention bar and doesn't feel quite as sweet to enter and release as the boxy old yellow and black ones did.

the new shimano pedals are worlds better than the old ones in mud (still not on par with times, but nothing else is, either. of course, mud must be a huge concern in orange county...), and are much easier to get into and out of across the board than they used to be. bearing action is silky smooth. and they are made of metal, not plastic. on a purely aesthetic level, i like metal more.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
C,mon - with that nice-looking Ti bike, you need some CB triple-ti feathers on there... Weight Weenie specials! I used to ride the Time and had some pre-release issues with them too. Started riding CB about 4 years ago and no problems - in or out, in mud or dry. I only had pre-release problems once using a pair of borrowed shoes with SEVERELY worn cleats that wouldn't hold the toe in... (still beat riding in sandles). I like the Mallet M's myself, but the Candy are pretty nice too if you are counting grams. I have a couple of friends that ride the Eggbeater, but that is not enough under the foot for me in case of a dab in a tech section...

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
ATBScott said:
C,mon - with that nice-looking Ti bike, you need some CB triple-ti feathers on there... Weight Weenie specials! I used to ride the Time and had some pre-release issues with them too. Started riding CB about 4 years ago and no problems - in or out, in mud or dry. I only had pre-release problems once using a pair of borrowed shoes with SEVERELY worn cleats that wouldn't hold the toe in... (still beat riding in sandles). I like the Mallet M's myself, but the Candy are pretty nice too if you are counting grams. I have a couple of friends that ride the Eggbeater, but that is not enough under the foot for me in case of a dab in a tech section...

you must not have any pedal strikes where you ride. I love my eggs, but when ever I hit a root or rock in the right way--out my foot goes.

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
Law said:
you must not have any pedal strikes where you ride. I love my eggs, but when ever I hit a root or rock in the right way--out my foot goes.
....ex-ACT-ly! I am tempted to try a pair of carbon ATAC's I've had in a box for a few years.....hmmmmmm.

·
Feet back and spread 'em!
624 Posts
I switched to TIME ATACs and Zs after starting with shimanos. I've never had an early release, even with very worn cleats. With the Shitmanos i couldn't get in or out of 'em. They sucked many inches of Hg.

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,044 Posts
All this talk of pedals is fun and all, but I'm more interested in seeing pictures of that frame. Have I missed it before or has it been flying under the radar?

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
Law said:

Ditto that. My CB's got tossed to the bin after a few catastrophic unclips.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have to agree with MtotheF. The newer diamond shaped ATACs just don't work as well as the rectangular shaped pedals. They aren't as positive when stepping in and just don't hold as well as the older versions. It also seems that the newer style wears much faster, too. I have a pair of the older WCS carbon ATACs that are about 4 years old that still work great and are currently on my single speed. The newer pair on my geared hardtail are only about a year-and-a-half old and are very loose feeling and nowhere nears as positive feeling. I would try something else, but even the newest ATACs still work great in muddy conditions. When rainy season hits hear, the trails become gummy with a lot of mixed in with the soil (= greasy mess).

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Padre said:
Pre-mature pedal release eh? Can't say I've ever had any experience with that.

They also look to be about 30g heavier than your Ti Atacs,or about the same as a carbon Atac.

Mud? And we would be concerned about mud, because.......???????

Seriously, I'll take the weight penalty...I don't care.

I've had far too many "OHH SCHITT!!" moments with those ATACs. Not to mention the number of rides that have ended because the blasted things grenaded.

I'm convinced without a shadow of a doubt,that those pedals were responsible for my injury.

Attachments

·
Steel and teeth.
577 Posts
Qfactor03 said:
I have to agree with MtotheF. The newer diamond shaped ATACs just don't work as well as the rectangular shaped pedals. They aren't as positive when stepping in and just don't hold as well as the older versions. It also seems that the newer style wears much faster, too. I have a pair of the older WCS carbon ATACs that are about 4 years old that still work great and are currently on my single speed. The newer pair on my geared hardtail are only about a year-and-a-half old and are very loose feeling and nowhere nears as positive feeling. I would try something else, but even the newest ATACs still work great in muddy conditions. When rainy season hits hear, the trails become gummy with a lot of mixed in with the soil (= greasy mess).
DITTO. I have a nice supply of old Time pedals and parts... I just don't know what I'll do if and when I wear them all out.

bb

·
Is dang happy!
1,380 Posts
Wow!

Aquaholic said:
Mud? And we would be concerned about mud, because.......???????

Seriously, I'll take the weight penalty...I don't care.

I've had far too many "OHH SCHITT!!" moments with those ATACs. Not to mention the number of rides that have ended because the blasted things grenaded.

I'm convinced without a shadow of a doubt,that those pedals were responsible for my injury.
Looks like you need some burly platform pedals or anything other than lite XC gear where you ride.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Aquaholic said:
I don't get it. Are you saying your mother (we all know she was a mountain biker from your previous post) was wearing ATACs when she dropped you on your head as a baby and caused your present mental problems and obsessive-compulsive behavior when dealing with over-priced bicycle gear? :D

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Shimano

b1umb0y said:
DITTO. I have a nice supply of old Time pedals and parts... I just don't know what I'll do if and when I wear them all out.

bb
Haven’t ridden on the newer ones but the older ones were death traps. If you rode through creeks and got them wet you could not get out of them:eekster: The constant lubing and adjust spring tension, loose screws were a nightmare.

Then I discovered the Times..ahhh what a great product. Just put them on and ride. Grease the axles once a season and that’s it.:thumbsup:

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quasi said:
I don't get it. Are you saying your mother (we all know she was a mountain biker from your previous post) was wearing ATACs when she dropped you on your head as a baby and caused your present mental problems and obsessive-compulsive behavior when dealing with over-priced bicycle gear? :D

Sir:

That is extremely hurtful and insensitive. You're not buddies with Fo, are ya?

Attachments

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
Aquaholic said:
New XTR pedals for me steed. I'm done with those blasted, premature releasing, ATAC's. No toe overlap problems, whatsoever!
Now all you need is a gravitydropper and your life will be complete! :rolleyes:

Hey Aqua, what is that bashguard? Can't make out the brand . . . .

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Good luck Aqua.....

I have 2 pairs of the XTR 970's and have had early/unexpected releases with both pairs, being used with new cleats (obviously because they come with the pedals), and new shoes.

I'm happily back on my Eggs, and since Crank Bros rebuilds them for FREE at Sea Otter I will let them deal with the overhaul that they seem to need ever year which is why I went back to Shimano after a few years away.

Rant done! :D

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Random Drivel said:
Now all you need is a gravitydropper and your life will be complete! :rolleyes:

Hey Aqua, what is that bashguard? Can't make out the brand . . . .

Salsa Trials Basher. It makes the sweetest scraping sounds.

Aqua

PS You will never, ever...see one of those Gravity Drooper, crutch thingies, festooning a bike of mine.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts