Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2000 model Trek 6000. I bought the bike used 2 years ago and have put about 1200 miles on it. I ride mostly singletrack in NC and some paved bike trails with my kids I would say 60% trails 40% paved trails. I am 6'4" 220 so I am a bigger rider. I have been thinking about upgrading my current bike or just getting a new one. I have been looking at the Felt Q620 http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2011/Mountain/Q-Series/Q620.aspx

the haro Flightline sport http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/bikes/XC-Performance-Hardtail/6/

and the cannondale trail 5 http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaen...dtail/Trail-SL/Details/2685-1FS5JBLK2-TRAIL-5

What would be my best way to go for a bike in this price range?

Thanks Brandon

·
Braille Riding Instructor
1,146 Posts
Take a test ride on all three and on as many other models as are in your price range. See what fits you best.

My personal bias would be the brakes--I'm skeptical of those "off brands." I'd rather have a decent mechanical from Avid than an off-brand, low-end hydraulic, but that's just me. Besides, if you're a relative beginner, mechanicals are much easier to set up and maintain. Even I can keep mechanicals running properly! :D

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Wow... they all have off-brand brakes. I'd be more trusting of Tektro, but it's a bit of a crapshoot regardless. At least if the mech. brakes on the Cannondale turn out to blow, you can replace the calipers and maybe rotors for under $100.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
At that size you would need to change the spring in the fork and even if you do that it wont work to well. All of the gears will go fast as well because of your size. I am 220 lbs and I need to use slx parts to get any good time out of them. Plus you will probably destroy the wheels and hubs. I would spend more and get a good solid drivetrain

·
1,146 Posts
I'm guessing the frame is pretty outdated and your upgrade path would be very limited. If you want a nicer, newer ride, you're probably better off buying something new with the components you want rather than upgrading a 14-year-old frame. (I'm not a wrench, though, so I don't know for sure.)

Those "off-brand" brakes might be great. I don't have any experience with them. I'm just not very trusting and I value properly functioning brakes above all else.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
OP, only two things have really improved since when your bike was made - suspension and brakes. The Felt has a marginally better spec., but the other two bikes really don't.

I don't know if Trek had their geometry sorted out yet in 2000. There's a period in which suspension mountain bikes didn't have steepened head angles, and had really crappy handling. My instinct is that by 2000, it was fine, but I don't know for sure.

Does everything work on your Trek? Do you like it? Does it fit you? I'd say test-ride the other bikes and see how you feel. If they don't impress you, think about spending the money on the Trek.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AndrwSwitch said:
OP, only two things have really improved since when your bike was made - suspension and brakes. The Felt has a marginally better spec., but the other two bikes really don't.

I don't know if Trek had their geometry sorted out yet in 2000. There's a period in which suspension mountain bikes didn't have steepened head angles, and had really crappy handling. My instinct is that by 2000, it was fine, but I don't know for sure.

Does everything work on your Trek? Do you like it? Does it fit you? I'd say test-ride the other bikes and see how you feel. If they don't impress you, think about spending the money on the Trek.
My fork is on its last leg, and my rear shifter is about due for a change. When I bought the bike it had a new shimano xt rear derailer and and xt cranks. I know its pretty easy to switch to disc up front with a new fork and wheelset. I have seen some kits that let you clamp disc to the rear, but have heard some mixed feelings on how well they work. Does anyone know of a good kit that will let you add rear dics brakes? I really just wanted to have the updated brakes. So I may just go the updating route.

·
1,146 Posts
Brandon, I don't know anything about clamping a disc to the rear of a non-disc frame, but you could get away with disc up front and v-brake in the rear, assuming you can find a disc-ready fork that fits your frame.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.