Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thought it would be cool to start a thread for DB owners to post upgrades to their bikes.

I'll start, made the following upgrades to my Release 5C (aka: Shreddpool). Swapped out the Guide RS for some Shimano Zee's, though not your average set of Zee's. Upgraded my upgrade with tool free reach adjusters and swapped the cotter pin for screws, parts came from an old set of SLX 675's that I had. Next is is rotors, 203F and 180R.

Sent from #THELEGENDMTB using Tapatalk on an iPhone
Looks good. I have been shopping for a good 4 piston setup to update to. I want to stick with either Sram or maybe try out TRS though.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I swapped my brakes on my Release to Shimano 4-piston as well, XT 8020 (pretty similar to Zee I think?). That plus 203/180 IceTech rotors was a huge upgrade in stopping power.

I've upgraded a bunch of other things too- i9 wheelset, tires, 800mm carbon bar, Wolftooth dropper lever, grips, seat, stem, OneUp bits, etc.

I'm in the market for a new bike, but I've upgraded enough parts that I'm considering just buying a new carbon frameset and moving all the parts over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice looking rig, if you don’t mind me asking what did that i9 wheelset set you back? My wife wants that setup on her near future (Clutch 1) but with purple hub and spokes.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Nice looking rig, if you don't mind me asking what did that i9 wheelset set you back? My wife wants that setup on her near future (Clutch 1) but with purple hub and spokes.
I got them lightly used from a buddy for $650, so probably cheaper than you'd typically find. They're expensive new, like $1200 or more. They look, sound, and perform awesome though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
  • New wheels...WTB i35 Asyms laced to Hope Pro 4 hubs.
  • Replaced the fork with the same thing but 29/27.5+ version. Running the bike as a plus bike. 2.8f/2.6r. Working great.
  • 203/180 rotors.
  • Just ordered a SRAM GX Eagle group that I'm hoping to have by this weekend.
  • ESI Extra Chunky grips.
  • Manitou McLeod shock. I think that's it.

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame

·
Registered
38 Posts
  • New wheels...WTB i35 Asyms laced to Hope Pro 4 hubs.
  • Replaced the fork with the same thing but 29/27.5+ version. Running the bike as a plus bike. 2.8f/2.6r. Working great.
  • 203/180 rotors.
  • Just ordered a SRAM GX Eagle group that I'm hoping to have by this weekend.
  • ESI Extra Chunky grips.
  • Manitou McLeod shock. I think that's it.

View attachment 1248071
I was gonna tell you I have some near new (less than 50 miles) take offs from my 2019 Bronson C S Build, GX eagle shifter, cassette, derrailure, and chain. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oh thats awesome, been thinking of doing that to my Haanjo. Hows the ride, much improvement?
It's great, definitely a bit slower on pavement which was to be expected. But verrrry nice on gravel. Noticeably less seat bump when sitting and spinning on dirt and also being able to crank up steeper hills without the rear tire spinning out is a huge plus. Still keeping the 700c set for more road oriented days. I say you go for it!

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
What size rims and tires are you using? I'd be curious if I could fit something like that on my Kona. I'm running 40c tires on i25 rims with plenty of room to spare. I was thinking about getting a new geared gravel bike towards end of the year when my truck is paid off and I was looking hard at the Haanjo 5C EXP but I'm not sure I want a triple up front and I've never used barend shifters. I understand it's more of a long distance bike packing setup but I think it would be a cool bike even for shorter 25-50 miles rides that I'd be doing with it. Of course I could swap out the shifty bits for more conventional stuff. But the 27.5 setup on a gravel road bike is definitely intriguing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’m sure you wouldn’t have a figment issue if you can already fit 40s and what I’m guessing are 700c rims. Setup I’m running is wtb KOMs 27.5 i25 with 47c Ventures. Basically I’m building up a second gravel bike but going steel frame and 1x11 setup for bikepacking, and thought I might as well start with the wheels since I can at least enjoy them now instead of staring at a half built bike forever lol.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I'm sure you wouldn't have a figment issue if you can already fit 40s and what I'm guessing are 700c rims. Setup I'm running is wtb KOMs 27.5 i25 with 47c Ventures. Basically I'm building up a second gravel bike but going steel frame and 1x11 setup for bikepacking, and thought I might as well start with the wheels since I can at least enjoy them now instead of staring at a half built bike forever lol.
Thanks. Yeah...I'm on 700/29" WTB Team Frequency i25 rims and Gravel King 40c tires.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.