Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've "unfortunately" managed to spend damn near a grand on my bike this month... well not "that bad". But anyway I made some compromises to get on this bike when I bought it, and one was the Truvative FireX cranks as opposed to my usual favorite XT's. The dang bike has been so good I just left them on. I spent alllll of last spring and almost half the summer recovering from injuries, and had "kind of" neglected upgrading mainly concentrating on healing. I now have about 85-90% feeling back in both hands "don't ask". So now Ive got about four forks "unused" and one being used and these damn heavy flexy cranks "which actually have been fine".

Now my query... Should I "A" go ahead and start looking for a deal on some XT cranks or "2" get a coil shock which I so desperately want. Or "C" get a new rear wheel, currently running hand-built Sun single tracks with Hope Pro 2 front and XT rear. I love the rims though heavy, and I can live with them for a while except the XT in the rr keeps coming loose. Or should I "4" just save some weight and get the Rp3 Pushed, but that would mean time off the bike and I "might" still want a coil.

Now the wheels I think I'd just rather wait a few weeks/months. What I "want" is to just concentrate on getting a coil shock, but I have a feeling the practical thing to do would be to go for the cranks.

Now the rub is that I have 150$ gift certificate for my LBS so the coil shock and a Push mod would be about the same. Anyway I've confused myself even more???... Any help from the peeps I trust most when it comes to my prize possession would be most appreciated!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PS: No Guap comments please if you will, that'll be another thread for another day. ;)

Edit: Oh! and I've also got a 30$ gift certifacate to Jenson from "the old lady's" little sister so....

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
XT crank yes ( can use your GC for that)

Hope Hub on your rear wheel......and that should do ya fine.....Then get your coil shock later and skip the push stuff.......Don't patch(ie push product) when you know what will fix(ie Coil over shock).

·
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TiEndo said:
XT crank yes ( can use your GC for that)

Hope Hub on your rear wheel......and that should do ya fine.....Then get your coil shock later and skip the push stuff.......Don't patch(ie push product) when you know what will fix(ie Coil over shock).
Great advice Ti!:eek: The only thing is the XT's run for 289.00 at my LBS and that's just sick compared to what they go for on the webtronet. :madman:

So what do you say about that???... really.

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
What're you waiting for

I'd get the rear shock if the cranks are doing just fine. Other than having to tighten the rear hub (I have a set of wheels that you can cannibalize for the hubs if yours breaks although they are XT's too:skep: ) I think your wheels are heavy duty enough to hold off on them for awhile. You can always get a good set of wheels online (Azonic Outlaws, etc....) later. I'd get the shock if thats what you really, really, really, really, want:D And nothing can beat the feel of a top notch coil shock:thumbsup: So get it!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EDDIE JONES said:
I'd get the rear shock if the cranks are doing just fine. Other than having to tighten the rear hub (I have a set of wheels that you can cannibalize for the hubs if yours breaks although they are XT's too:skep: ) I think your wheels are heavy duty enough to hold off on them for awhile. You can always get a good set of wheels online (Azonic Outlaws, etc....) later. I'd get the shock if thats what you really, really, really, really, want:D And nothing can beat the feel of a top notch coil shock:thumbsup: So get it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Naw The Outlaws are too heavy the next wheels I get are gonna be TRICK!!!

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
blackagness said:
Great advice Ti!:eek: The only thing is the XT's run for 289.00 at my LBS and that's just sick compared to what they go for on the webtronet. :madman:

Yikes.....289???????

Then I would do as Eddie said......Use the GC for the coil shock......wheels and crank can wait........I was just thinkin about what I paid for my XT cranks and not even close to 289....If you find yourself goin bigger with the coil shock then invest on the new rear wheel....That XT hub is mighty solid.....just sounds like you need some wrenching.....so bump the coil as the priority........289????? My RF deus wasn't even close to that price?????? If I can't shake off the UGI, I may have a set of XT cranks up soon......so be patient;)

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
$289.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TiEndo is right. That is way too high. He is also right about having the air shock pushed. Your riding is too the point that the coil shock should be your choice. Your wheels, although heavy probably can't be killed but the rear shock can:eek: I'd get the coil. What coil were you thinking about:confused:

·
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
EDDIE JONES said:
TiEndo is right. That is way too high. He is also right about having the air shock pushed. Your riding is too the point that the coil shock should be your choice. Your wheels, although heavy probably can't be killed but the rear shock can:eek: I'd get the coil. What coil were you thinking about:confused:
DHX 5.0 BABY!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TiEndo said:
Yikes.....289???????

Then I would do as Eddie said......Use the GC for the coil shock......wheels and crank can wait........I was just thinkin about what I paid for my XT cranks and not even close to 289....If you find yourself goin bigger with the coil shock then invest on the new rear wheel....That XT hub is mighty solid.....just sounds like you need some wrenching.....so bump the coil as the priority........289????? My RF deus wasn't even close to that price?????? If I can't shake off the UGI, I may have a set of XT cranks up soon......so be patient;)
Dang Ti your singing to me tonight! ie making all kinds of sense. Perhaps you are the king of bling/upgrades too. :thumbsup:

Yeah, you get those XT's up and can't unload em think of me! :) :D

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Hell, yeah!!!! You know I'll be so jealous (Just kidding) Man, that'll be awesome. Get it, get it, get it, get it, get it, get it, get it, get it, (Alright enough of that)

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Go BA go.......The coil will be exactly what you've been wanting on the your motolite......And since its a high wear part, not a bad item to buy from your local shop that you trust in case you got issues........Cranks and wheels go online or ebay or Barn, but if you're as hard on parts as it sounds, the shock I would get locally especially if you're using the GC........since some more wisdom in my Flu like state.........

·
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TiEndo said:
Go BA go.......The coil will be exactly what you've been wanting on the your motolite......And since its a high wear part, not a bad item to buy from your local shop that you trust in case you got issues........Cranks and wheels go online or ebay or Barn, but if you're as hard on parts as it sounds, the shock I would get locally especially if you're using the GC........since some more wisdom in my Flu like state.........
Keep takin what your takin... it's all zen like. :thumbsup:

But seriously a GD's not a bad idea, but if I can get a DHX 5.0 for the same price I gotta go there, while I still don't know what I'm missing.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Tscheezy's nailed it on this one. Out of all the upgrades mentioned, The GD is definitely the one that will have the most impact on your riding experience.

After that I'd probably go wheels.

You oughta hit up CHris90720 about his DHX, might be for sale. Or talk to bikerbob about a roco. I much like the roco better personally.;)

·
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ha Ha!

Bikerbob.com said:
Buy a tube with your LBS gift certificate, get change in cash, and buy oem XT cranks from you know who.
Did you ever get your hat? Photos please!
Yeah, somehow I don't think they'll go for that?

And no... wheres my hat!!! Really Bob if it doesn't get here soon I'm gonna have to think about going elswhere for free stuff and I don't want to have to do that to ya. ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Hvae you looked at the LX cranks?

blackagness said:

There's really almost no difference between the LX and XT, and I got my LX cranks for about 90 bucks.

Dave

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
1,844 Posts
Gift certificate refund

blackagness said:
Yeah, somehow I don't think they'll go for that?

And no... wheres my hat!!! Really Bob if it doesn't get here soon I'm gonna have to think about going elswhere for free stuff and I don't want to have to do that to ya. ;) ;) ;)
Seems unfair. If you buy a product and return it in new condition, you get your cash back.
If you buy a gift certificate with cash, you can only get a product back.

I only had an OEM takeoff hat (off my head) in stock, but Titus has sent me some fresh ones.
Coming soon.
Bob

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.